Saturday, September 23, 2017

Bloggers Quilt Festival - My Twitter Feed

My Twitter Feed is my second entry to the Bloggers Quilt Festival.


Who knew that making one bird would start such a tweet storm?


I found the bird pattern at Block Lotto. http://www.blocklotto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/BirdBlockDirectionsV2.pdf

I made the first bird in January 2017. And nothing was ever the same again.  I was obsessed. I blogged about it here.



I modified the pattern slightly so that the birds could be made in pairs (facing each other). I enjoyed picking fabrics - matching fabrics, solids, stripes, contrasting fabrics, small prints, floral prints, and even novelty prints.



I set up an assembly line of bird-making.






I enjoyed making each bird and would do it again, in a heartbeat.  No quilt has given me so much joy as these birds. I enjoyed making them, naming them, and definitely showing them off.


I staggered the layout to avoid the ordeal of seam-matching/nesting.  And added a skinny border in background colors.  This was to make sure that the binding did not cover any portion of beaks/tails.


Made 64 birds. The quilt uses 63 (arranged 9 by 7). I sent the leftover bird to Mary and she made another, combining them into a little mini quilt.


I received many oohs and aahs at the Quilters Unlimited Quilt Show in June 2017.  My Twitter Feed also enjoyed its moment in the sun as the cover of the Quilters Unlimited Facebook page.


My guild members asked for the Birds Block as the Block of the Month.  I happily modified the pattern to make larger birds at 9" by 12". 
 

Entering My Twitter Feed in the Bloggers Quilt Festival is the ultimate joy.


The finished quilt measures 53" by 63".



Quilted with wavy lines, thanks to my Walking Foot and Jacquie Gering's Craftsy class.


 So joyful and bright!!!


Birds with attitude - they tweet a lot :-)


 Some sing, others chirp, but they all make me happy.



And a few more close-ups.


Because I cannot get enough of them.


Showing off my label!



Here is hoping that this will bring you joy, inspiration or just a smile to brighten your day.  Please do check out the quilty feast of color and beauty at the Bloggers Quilt Festival. There is so much to enjoy. Thank you Amy!!!



37 comments:

  1. Such a fun quilt! I can see why you enjoyed making it so much! I enjoyed seeing it again and hearing the story of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started one in a different bird design and really must get back to it - hopefully soon -- love your quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun and colorful. I can just imagine your smiles as you chose fabrics for each pair. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an happy bunch of birds :) Love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! We made similar blocks for our bee earlier this year and I loved them. Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt love the birds and the variety of fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  7. The birds are beautiful, I love the colours you have chosen. Thanks for sharing the production line images, it's lovely to see behind the scenes as to how an item was made.Visiting from the Bloggers Quilt Festival

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved to see how your birds all came together in the end. That was one addiction that was worthwhile, unlike most of mine! Good luck with the bloggers quilt festival

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is no doubt about it, this is my favorite quilt that you have made! It's so full of personality and really motivates me to revisit the block. For my small project, I only need to make one more. Enjoy you day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent choice for your entry. Love all those birds they make one tweet quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my kind of twitter! Love it! ... :-) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your little tweets are so much fun! And all of the attention they have received--so cool!! Good luck in the festival! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is your best quilt ever. It's just so happy! The best kind of Twitter feed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this quilt - great entry for the Bloggers Quilt Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my all-time favourite quilts of yours, and I'm not usually a fan of animal quilts...yet...guess what my second entry in the festival is?? Not Whirling Stars as you suggested, but my Cows quilt!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one looks like a lot of fun, to make and to have!!! Way to go and thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its so fun to see which quilts everyone enters, some we have seen before and some new ones, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the pattern link, but now I can't seem to get the image of "birds on the assembly line" out of my mind!! They are working birds. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, squeal! I'm glad you included this in the Blogger's Quilt Festival. I will never tire of it. And these birds can tweet as much as they want--as long as their tweets are kind and appropriate. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I instantly smiled when I saw this one in the BQF lineup! Never tire at seeing this beauty, Preeti!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was hoping you were entering this one. I watched it being made and loved it then and still do. It's a wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am terrified of real birds, but these are adorable! Love this quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is my top favourite quilt - so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm very happy to see this one again! I loved those birds back then and love them even more today!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your flock of tweeters. They are so cute. It was fun hearing about the show it was in.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad you entered this one, it's so fun. You have such a variety of fabrics, happy happy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a great quilt - love the bright birds and the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a fun quilt! Definitely tweet worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this so much! I've enjoyed watching you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a cute quilt! I just love all the beautiful colors and the staggered birds! Now I want to make one too! Congrats on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your quilt is absolutely stunning and so very colorful! I. LOVE. IT!!!! Thank you for sharing the pattern as well!

    ReplyDelete