Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Pink Blooms and Turquoise Maidens

It is that time of the year - SPRING!!!

Washington Monument in Washington DC

Cherry blossoms get all the hype.

Cherry Blossoms

But this is my favorite flowering tree this time of the year in this part of the world.  Do you know the name? Please let me know.

My favorite tree/flowers

I love these deep pink, thick and fluffy blooms. 

The tree in full bloom

The color is brighter, the flowers are more substantial and the blooms last days longer than the ephemeral cherry blossoms.

Thick blooms

Imagine these buds at the edge of a sweetheart neckline. You see? 

Gorgeous pink

If I could clothe myself in anything, I'd be wearing a gown and a headdress made out of these pink flowers. But the April ladies are wearing aqua (or turquoise) because Angela said so.

Fabrics and Complexions

Meet my aqua (or turquoise) maidens. If you can tell me who is wearing aqua and who is wearing turquoise, you will be the winner :-D

April Blocks for the RSC 2019

AquaMaiden

Daisy Queen

Flora May

Bold & Beautiful

OK, this may be teal

Flora Nay

If you read the bloopers post, you know that the closed palms was a mistake. I have decided to make it a deliberate decision choice.  Check out Flora May and Flora Nay above :-)



And although most ladies are willing to dance, a few are not. They indicate their choice by keeping their palms open (yes, please) or closed (no, thank you).



Check out all the other lovely aqua (or turquoise) blocks in the RSC here.


In other sew-along update, I have completed all my blocks for the Trinket Sew Along.
Insert happy dance emoji here.

Things Blocks

I wanted to finish my trinket blocks before I left on my trip and this last weekend was the giant push and they are done. I will be posting on Instagram according to the schedule, even if remotely.

My best attempt so far

Of course I am excited about my trip and the main reason for that excitement is my quilty buddy Melanie. My bag is so chock-o-block full of fabric that there is barely room for a change of clothing.  But then who needs clothes when you can drape yourself in fabric :-D

With Melanie, May 2017

I first met Melanie when she was visiting US in 2017.  Now I am going to Germany to meet her. So excited!!!  You can read all about our first meeting here.  And I promise to write about our 2019 adventures after my return.

I will be linking with my favorite linky parties. See full list on the sidebar.
As usual, I'd love to hear from you. Your comments are like the pink blossoms on my blog tree.



26 comments:

  1. Love the cherry blossom photos! I wonder if the darker pink trees are crab apple blossoms. We had one in our yard growing up and it made for great photos in the spring. Great aqua/teal/turquoise blocks. I have the same question about which is which! Nice job on the Trinket SAL. Have a fun, fun trip! We'll want to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pink flowers I did a google search and it looks like a Royal Japanese Cherry Tree but I'm just going by your photo so really not sure -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ladies are sweet, sweet, sweet! Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blooming tree photos - so pretty! And the turquoise ladies are great! I can just see you having fun with so many dress possibilities. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty flowers! Love Spring ;) Love your fishes fabric too! And the diamond is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The darker pink flowering tree is also a "flowering cherry", just a different species of the ones that get all the hype. Love the dancing ladies. Have fun with your friend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great trip! Such pretty ladies along with gorgeous cherry blossoms. You're a bit further ahead than us; the magnolias are just beginning to open, my personal favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a Kwanzan Flowering Cherry, an ornamental variant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Preeti! I think that's a Crab Apple tree. Gorgeous whatever it is and so are the cherry blossoms. I love your turquoise/aqua ladies and the creative choice to include a no thank you lady as well. Might as well represent all choices. Safe travels to you and many wishes for lots of fun. I know you will enjoy yourself spending time with your friend - I hope the weather cooperates and shines down on you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have no idea what that beautiful blooming tree is, other than so pretty! Love your dancing ladies, whether they are teal or aqua! The fish dress makes AquaMaden swimmingly beautiful; the floral dresses are lovely, and I'm completely all a twitter over the bird dress! Enjoy your trip and the time with your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From apples to cherry trees. However, I found a Pink Trumpet Tree with lovely pink blooms. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you are going to travel! I will be eager to read about your trip and experiences! Ahh! Vicarious thrills!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hubby was a surveyor for 38 yrs. His book of trees says it is a Japanese Cherry. It is thought to be from a hybrid of two native species: the hill cherry and the Oshima cherry. Cultivated for more than 1500 years in Japan, but fairly new to western (US) culture.
    Like you, I love the blooms. Only when you asked did I think to resort to hubby's expertise! Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you got lots of response to what kind of tree that is. I'm with you, much prettier than the cherry tree that gets all the hype. Your RSC ladies are SO FUN! It's fun seeing the dress fabrics you choose and also the flesh colors. Wonderful variety! What do you plan to do with your lady quilt when you have enough blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your African ladies are so beautiful. I am going to have to figure out that one, too. Seems easy enough. You’ve done a great job of selecting dress and skin tone fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely blossom/monument picture. Besides the joy of visiting you, I remember DC as very rainy :) I am glad we are probably getting sunny weather here. Looking forward to seeing you soon! So excited xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful dancing ladies and cherry blossoms. Have a great rip!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know nothing about cherry blossoms, except that they are gorgeous! You have been a busy lady with your Trinket quilt. I've kept an eye on your IG feed. As for those fair maidens...they are so perfect. I love that you are keeping the closed palm in the mix. I think she is a rebel and a princess warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whatever kind of tree that is, it is just beautiful. Thanks for showing it for us. Your ladies are lovely in turquoise. Have a wonderful and safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the cherry blossoms - the white and the pink. I lived in MD in the 90's and loved taking the metro to the Jefferson monument area during cherry blossom. Also love your aqua maidens - both the May and the Nay. Have a safe and exciting trip to Germany. I hope you get lots of sewing time and tourist time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love those dancing ladies. Your blog inspires me to make repeating blocks, which sometimes seems against my grain. But the little variations, the colors, making it fun, I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful cherry blossom pix - I can't get enough! Nice blocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing the flowering trees! Even though tomorrow is Easter, not a single blooming tree or bulb for that matter. We are late here in NE Wyoming this year! I love your dancing ladies also. Lovely lovely lovely! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your turquoise ladies! And I do think the pink are cherry trees, too. The white ones look like crabapples. Either way, your pictures are gorgeous! Hope you're enjoying your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful pictures of those beautiful blossoms!! Love the ladies too. I have been living your trip vicariously with your posts on FB. So fun! Safe travels Preeti.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't know the name of the tree, but I remember a similar tree in the backyard of my first apartment. When the blossoms fell off, they covered the ground like a pink carpet. It was also as pretty as when they were on the tree. I am not good at discerning 'shades, tints, and tones' of color. I rely on others to label the colors as aqua, teal or turquoise.

    ReplyDelete