Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Ukraine on my mind...

I have been superbusy working on projects that I cannot share at this time.  

To be revealed later

But when Angela announced the RSC color for March, I had to take a break. I rummaged through my box of yellows. 

Yellows for March


And found these two fabrics. Sharing with Angela's Linky party.

Sunflower - Bright

Sunflowers - Subdued


As I incorporate them in to my March RSC blocks, I will be thinking of Ukraine, its brave people and their remarkable President, who finds himself in an unimaginably difficult situation. 

Must start somewhere

Work in Progress


Last week, scared and horrified, I had asked Paul - is the entire world going to just watch and let it happen? Is there nothing that can be done?

Paul: Sanctions are on the way.
Me: They have not worked in the past and I am unsure they will work now.
Paul: Imposing sanctions also hurts other countries, so they have to be careful.
Me: What about help from NATO?
Paul: Ukraine is not a member of NATO.
Me: They want to be. And if this unprovoked aggression is not an obvious reason/time for NATO to adopt Ukraine, what is?
Paul: If that happens, it would mean that entire Europe will be at war with Russia.
Me: So Russia just bulldozes their way into Ukraine?  Who comes next?
Paul: Countries are uniting in solidarity with Ukraine and sending aid and weapons.
Me: Will it work? Can they resist the invasion?
Paul: It ain't over yet.
Me: Can UN do nothing?
Paul(scoffing): Russia is a permanent member of the Security Council
Me: They should be thrown out of the Security Council. These are unprecedented times with an unprecedented problem. We cannot apply old solutions to new problems. Something has to change. 

Frustrated and helpless, I was arguing with Paul, as if he controlled the flow of arms and aid to Ukraine. I marvel that he can be well-informed and calm when I am not.




According to Julia Ioffe (from an interview with Stephen Colbert), "people of my generation in Russia have never experienced democracy. Ukraine has had it for a couple of decades and they are fighting so hard for it. And we (Americans) tend to take it for granted. We are complacent about it. That is why we were surprised by January 6th, surprised by Trump and if teaches us anything it is that Democracy is work. It is vigilance, it is being educated, it is being a savvy consumer of the media, it is voting, it is paying attention and we already have it. We just have to keep it and make it better. We already have it; they (Ukrainians) are starting from scratch."

You may see/listen to her here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5l2nN0rBpk

Whatever happens and however this shakes out, one thing is certain - Volodymyr Zelenskyy will go down in history as an exceptional leader who rose to the greatest challenge of his lifetime.  With limited resources and minimal experience, he has had to lead a nation, while facing an uphill battle against a seemingly insurmountable enemy.  A relative newcomer to public service, there was no way to know how he would deal with such a situation. His reaction, his stance and his approach is both humbling and heartwarming. Declining an offer to evacuate, the Ukrainian President said this - "I need ammunition, not a ride."

"I need ammunition, not a ride": Zelenskyy proves to be an example of leadership.

Zelenskyy's courage and the determination of the Ukrainian people has led to some unforeseen and remarkable developments.  Germany reversed a historic policy of never sending weapons to conflict zones, saying the Russian invasion of Ukraine was an epochal moment that imperiled the entire post-World War II order across Europe. Even a historically neutral country such as Switzerland has agreed to adopt all the sanctions that the European Union has imposed on Russian people and companies and freeze Russian assets to punish the invasion of Ukraine.

As Russia bombarded civilian areas in Kharkiv, killing many citizens, Ukrainians continue to resist their advances. This is far from over. Let us keep Ukraine in our prayers. 

If you know of any Russian-owned businesses or people of Russian origin, please be kind.  They did not cause this and have little control over it. In fact, most of them are against this aggression. Many Russians in several cities have protested this invasion of Ukraine, while facing arrest and detention. 


I have completed my Island Batik/Aurifil March challenge, but I will share that in my next post. 

As promised here are the winners of the giveaway from February Challenge and Bloghop. The randomly generated numbers are 11 (Katie), 32 (Shirley C), 41 (Quilter Kathy) and 45 (Julie in GA). Emails are  on their way.



18 comments:

  1. Ukraine is also heavy on my mind. The timing of yellow for March will likely have many people thinking as they sew...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all Ukrainians at heart now. It is at once sad and frustrating that we can’t/aren’t doing more (“we” meaning Western Europe, US, NATO).

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is frustrating that we can't do more for Ukraine but your husband is right is they are admitted to NATO we are all at war - do we want this or continue to help I don't know the answer - Putin is a mad man for sure just as the former leader of the US is (I know plenty disagree with me on that - this is my opinion and that of many others)
    On another note your quilt is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Preeti. You speak for so many of us who are horrified at what is taking place in Ukraine. I try to think like Paul, that these sanctions will work and make a difference. I certainly don't want our young people to go fight in another war. Hugs to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Preeti! Ukraine is on my mind, too. Earlier I searched for safe donations websites, but where to send it? 660,000 - read that number again - SIX HUNDRED SIXTY THOUSAND people have fled the Ukraine to Poland. Poland is overwhelmed at the influx. We have to stand strong, just as if we were facing off against a bully. That's what they are - bullies in disguise. Our one vote is all we have, but we have to exercise it and be vocal when we are not pleased with decisions. No unruly protests - we don't need to kill anymore over politics. No one wants WWIII and I'm here to say that China is watching this avidly. North Korea, too, I imagine. We DO take democracy for granted, in spite of those that think we have already lost it. Our constitution is still valid and has stood the test of time, but we cannot let unwarranted modifications to it happen wily nilly. The Supreme Court appointment that has fallen out of the news is HUGE. Okay, stepping down now. You hit a passionate button on me, and I apologize for the length of my comment. I do look forward to seeing your projects sooner than later, my friend. {{Hugs}} a bunch. Take care, please! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, what a world. The situation in Ukraine makes me so sad, and worried for the future of our world. Looking forward to seeing your reveal! I owe you a pattern for a block soon, and then some layouts....its on my list to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your informative posts! We can cross our fingers and hope! We can contact our congressional representatives! We can try to keep our sanity when we feel the world is insane! Anyway! Thanks! You help me know that I am not alone in my thinking. That we must stand against this bully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ukraine weighs heavily on many of us. I had a similar conversation in my house too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's very difficult to live with a war so close to us, without knowing what the future will bring. A world war? A nuclear disaster? We are welcoming refugees in France too, schools organize themselves to welcome children and allow them to live a life as a child. I hope the sanctions will work. The madness of the world is beyong everything...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sunflower fabrics are beautiful. They will look great with your yellow and will be a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you on all of it, especially the frustration and helplessness in the face of all of the reasons why we (the United States/Europe/NATO/United Nations) can't just "do something" to stop this atrocity immediately. Thank you for reminding everyone not to scapegoat ordinary people and businesses of Russian origin/ancestry for this. They have just as much influence over Putin's decision making as we had over Trump. So, that's something we can be thankful for at least, right? Because if Donald Trump was still our President, the United States would probably be sending troops and ammo to HELP PUTIN to invake Ukraine and suppress the imaginary Nazis...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you, Preeti. I see all this unnecessary suffering and am powerless to stop it. It is a tragedy unfolding in front of us. The only thing I can do right now is send aid money, so I'm doing that, and it will be needed for a long while yet. I take some comfort from how united most of the world is against this invasion, and how many countries are stepping up to arm the Ukrainians and help the refugees.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Right there with you, Preeti. This nonsensical "denazification" rationale is laughable while at the same time incredibly, grossly insulting and terrifying. Putin knows you just have to keep repeating a lie over and over and enough people will believe it to perpetuate confusion and paralysis. Hats off and all my extra money to the folks of the Ukraine, who are making a stand as best they can against an unprovoked attack by a military presence many times their own's size.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so agree with you feeling frustrated, angry and helpless. I’ve had this same conversation with my husband. People think freedom isn’t very important until you no longer have it. The just keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous collection of YELLOW/GOLD prints, Preeti, and I imagine that you will channel your frustration into making something wonderful in support of Ukraine with them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was happy to see the color for March was yellow. I think of Ukraine as I sew each bit of fabric. I also take actions once the sewing is finished through money and my voice. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful that the color for March was yellow! It should always be yellow in March, to stand for a remarkable people. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your conversations with Paul are always great and this one was also profound Preeti. I am with you all the way. President Zelensky is a man of outstanding courage and I pray for him and the people of Ukraine to be victorious.

    ReplyDelete