Sunday, December 17, 2023

Celebrate Diwali

As the daylight hours decrease and the darkness envelops the northern hemisphere, Hindus all over the world celebrate Diwali - the festival of lights. You may have seen the newish British Prime Minister and his family celebrate Diwali at 10 Downing Street.

I have talked about my Diwali Memories and I made my first Diwali Quilt last year. 




This year when Island Batik gave us the choice to make a quilt project "celebrating" our favorite holiday, I knew instantly that I will be making a Diwali Quilt, using a fabric collection called Celebrate!!! Could there be a more appropriate fabric line to make this quilt? 



I started by making candles with two tone flames. All piecing was done using a 80/12 Schmetz Needle and 50 wt Aurifil Thread

Candles


Some height adjustments were made to create interest.

Tall and Short




The next step was adding text.  I marked the center and spaced the letters evenly. 


Marking the Center before placing the letters


I appliqued the letters and stitched them using a simple stitch without a break!  Check the picture below.

Applique


Once that was done, it was time to baste and quilt. I used Schmetz 90/14 Needle and Aurifil 40 wt thread for quilting. The batting is Thermore by Hobbs.

Quilting Lines Marked


And here is my completed Celebration quilt!!! Happy Diwali Mini Quilt finished at 14.5" by 20.5"

Happy Diwali Mini Quilt


Finished Mini Quilt - 20.5" by 14.5"



But wait there is more. Celebrations are always more than one thing and so is this post.  

I continued playing with these gorgeous fabrics and made this joyful quilt. I used my Accuquilt 8" GO QUBE to make the smaller half square triangles.  So. Many. Triangles!!! It is good to have an Accuquilt Cutter.

All piecing was done using a 80/12 Schmetz Needle and 50 wt Aurifil Thread

Koi Pond


Finishing at 60" square, I have named it Koi Pond.  Picture this - Colorful fish who ate lots of Diwali sweets (or Christmas cookies) and are now swimming in circles, chasing each other as they burn off their sugar high :-D


Let's get closer. Do you see the little swirls in the background fabric? These fish are creating some serious ripples :-D

Such happy fabrics


The background is Doughnut (Island Batik Neutrals) and the binding is Island Batik Solid Yellow.  I used Schmetz 90/14 Needle and Aurifil 40 wt thread for quilting. The batting is Thermore by Hobbs.


Kissing Fish

True Story - When I was arranging the quilt over the mailbox, prior to taking this picture, a woman stopped her car, rolled down her window and complemented me :-) I was so tickled. I smiled and thanked her. Then I continued smiling the whole day.

But enough about me. What is a celebration without sharing? So here is a free tutorial for you to make your own Scrappy Swirling Fish block. This may be a suitable block for Rainbow Scrap challenge next year. Let me know what you think.

May the holiday season bring you joy and peace that continues into the new year. I will treat every comment like a cherished holiday greeting. Big Squishy Hugs!!!










27 comments:

  1. Your Diwali quilt is so bright and definitely a celebration of color. That's a really great fabric line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diwali candles are just so lovely--nice work on these...hugs and Happy Diwali Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them both but I was especially taken with the way you added interest in the way you stitched over the lettering. Very imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both quilts are beautiful! I love that a woman stopped her car to compliment your quilt. That's the sort of thing I think about doing, but often don't because I might feel silly or awkward or something. Kudos to her for actually doing it! Maybe knowing how it made your day will encourage me to do it as well, since it could have such a positive impact. Thanks for sharing your quilts and the stories behind them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What delightful quilts. The yellow really pops! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have made two lovely bright quilts! Isn't it wonderful when we get unexpected compliments, it happened to me recently and really brightened my day, just like you with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is very pretty I love the bright colors

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Diwali quilt is very cute, but I love Koi Pond! It just screams 'Preeti.' All those bright happy colors are so you. So much to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed seeing both quilts! I like the way you did the applique of the letters. The colors of this collection stand out in both quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colors you use in your quilts and your designs show off the colors so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both Celebrate Diwali and Koi Pond are perfect for celebrating the Festival of Lights, Preeti! That's a beautiful line of fabric and so perfect for the the theme. Happy Diwali to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I look forward to celebrating the Solstice and the fact that the amount of daylight is a day is about to start getting longer again; hooray! I think the Celebrate fabric is perfect for your Happy Diwali mini quilt and the Koi pond quilt, and I'm so glad the woman stopped to appreciate the quilt. Have a wonderful week and Happy Diwali!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your Dawali quilt and the extra quilt. You would not know at a glance that they were both used with the same fabrics except for the background. Beautiful work, including the applique, Your stitches turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Dawali mini turned out beautifully! Koi pond is bright and fun. You made really good use of all those bright and colorful fabrics. Wishing you a very happy holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love them both and thanks for the great ideas. Koi pond is perfect for a donation quilt and Dawali could easily be adapted to a Christmas quilt just by changing the wording. And here's a sneaky tip if you would have liked to hide your connecting stitches between the applique letters. Just use a Micron or permanent fabric gel pen to color them black.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love big squishy hugs! Sending one right back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both of these are excellent! So bright and cheerful. Great collection of fabrics. Happy Diwall!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love both quilts! You always come up with great names. Love Koi Pond….how appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your two latest quilts, Preeti!! They are both SEW cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two wonderful projects to celebrate! I am so happy the woman took the time to stop. It is these small kind gestures that can really warm ones heart and make the day. Happy Diwali! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. So much work in the first project and it's really nice. I came over to see the second one as it stands right out to me as yellow is my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilts are both fantastic! I love the bright colors of the batiks. Have a wonderful, happy holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  23. True celebration projects! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Who else but you would make a bright, shining quilt for Diwali!? I love your blog posts, your sense of humor, your relationship with your hubby (quilt holder.) Thanks for always putting a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Two great finishes. Both vibrant and colourful. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love both finishes, Preeti. I can see the Diwali design being adapted for other occasions. I enjoyed your story behind the naming of the Koi quilt!!

    ReplyDelete