Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Blush

Have you seen my Blush?

Paul the model


I made the flimsy as a part of the Pantone Color Quilt Challenge which included three categories - mini quilt, not a mini quilt, and flimsy. The extremely limited guidelines are a double-edge sword. As participants we can make anything we want - no limits to creativity. Since we don't know the judging criteria we cannot make a quilt to win the challenge. 


All the peaches


I chose to participate because I had plenty of gorgeous peachy goodness in my stash. I was in between projects. But most importantly, I wanted to play with peachy fabrics, which turned out to be a nice change of pace from Island Batik fabrics, which I absolutely love.

Making the Blocks

The block is super simple. One 2.5" square framed by 2.5" strips for a finished block of 6" square. But Blush isn't about block construction or piecing details.


Peach by Peach


Blush is about having a single-minded commitment to one color. Choosing one hue and giving it your all. Blush is about gathering every single fabric (in your stash) in one color and arranging them by value.


Value Gradation


Even if it requires you to use the same fabric from both sides, wrong side up for a slightly lighter value, as in the picture below. I did that more than once :-)


Two different blocks from one fabric - can you spot them?

Cute fabrics

Lots of arranging and rearranging.

It was a laborious task, getting that gradation from "caught in the act crimson" in the center to "the thought makes me blush" at the corners. I could not have done it without my design wall.



Design Wall

Oh, but when she was done, she took my breath away...

Blush is beautiful and she is gorgeous. Blush is my love letter to Peach Fuzz, the Pantone Color of the Year. 

Completed Flimsy


Such a show-off!


Blush makes me very happy. It was time to turn the flimsy into a quilt.


Basting


The truth is this - I LOVE to play with value.  I love gradation quilts. So who cares if Blush did not make it to the winning circle in the Peach Buzz Pantomime Challenge Whatever...

I am in love with Blush!

Reflection!

And also with Paul. 

Blush finished at 60" square and she happily rode the wooden horse.

Happiness

For backing I chose this cute cat print.  I quilted using my walking foot with my usual squiggly stitch. The binding is peach.


Labelled


From one childless lady who cannot have enough fabric cats, I wish you happy stitching!


Never too many cats :-)

And one last look. 

Bob and Blush

______________________________________________________

Angela chose Orange as the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for August.  I had a difficult time finding orange in nature, until I looked closely.

Not quite the orange I was hoping to find...


Wait a minute...


Blanketflower


Marigold


Moss-rose Purslane



I had no problem finding orange in my stash. Here are my sunshine blocks.

Sunny Vibes


Feeling the Burn yet?


All fabric scraps came from Island Batik. It is good to be an ambassador :-)

I have now completed 63 Hexie Blocks, which will make a 70" by 90" quilt. I am contemplating 5" borders to get to a final size of 80" by 100" although that quilt may not happen for a while. 

I am working on a new quilt pattern. That blogpost is next!

I will be sharing with all my favorite linky parties including Angela's. See full list on the sidebar.



21 comments:

  1. So happy to see Blush finished! She is pretty indeed. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/08/21/wednesday-wait-loss-394

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m in love with Blush and the Reflection photo! A winner in my eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Blush is simply gorgeous! I have no idea why it didn't take a prize--
    but, the important thing is that you love it!! Beautiful work.;)))
    Your orange hexies are so pretty...they will make a lovely piece.
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blush looks perfect!! love the cats on the back - do you have a cat t-shirt I don't have that one but have a couple others to show support to K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blush is definitely a beauty! I can totally see why you're in love with her - the gradation of color that you figured out is so pretty. And the cats are brilliant! Great finish, Preeti!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Preeti you made a real beauty. I love your quilt. I actually thought of you today when I photographed a quilt at my workplace. I realized how easy you make it look. The wind, the holder not reading my mind....you know what I mean. Your quilt is so beautiful and lovely with a cheerfulness and soft, pastel feeling. It reminds me of a creamsicle. As for using fabrics in two different ways. Quilting teachers like to remind us that every fabric has two sides! You certainly learned that tip. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. one spectacular finish, this one captured my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blush is gorgeous! I love your gradation of colors. I couldn't find the repeated fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blush is gorgeous! I've made one rainbow gradated quilt, it's a challenge to get the color and shades just right. You did that perfectly. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blush is fantastic! I love everything about it, masterful manipulation of value and contrast, the name, and my favorite picture is the one with the statue Bob cuddled up under your quilt. Looking forward to seeing your upcoming project that you so coyly hint about!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful quilt. The question I have is should we be sewing for prizes or for the beauty and pleasure of quilting. For me it is the latter. I can see the love and beauty in your quilting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am totally loving this quilt! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blush is fantastic. I like how the color gradiate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blush is gorgeous! The range of peach values is amazing! Well done!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooooh, another gorgeous finished quilt! Blush is wonderful, I love the use of these fabrics, and the cute fussy cutting too! Bravo Preeti!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a comforting, beautiful colorway. Love ,love LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Preeti, Blush is really lovely. That colour gradation really works (as usual!) Thanks so much for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blush is amazing, I really like the gradation of color! And orange! Love the orange flowers (not so much the construction orange, which is everywhere)!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Back in the autumn of 2023 at our Modern Quilt Guild, I won 37 fat quarters in the color of the month. PEACH. What the heck do I do but put it in a container until your Blush comes along. Thank you. i already have 20 blocks finished. Bev in NS.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on your blushing finish ;) The color play and simplicity make it shine. And how fun to "hide" some elements to find. xo

    ReplyDelete