Friday, September 11, 2026

Newington

Meet Newington.

A New Finish!

Designed in EQ8 and made with fabrics from Island Batik collections, Newington is a Christmas quilt finishing at 76" by 100" published in "Let's Make it Merry" (A Quilter's World publication). 


Published

On News Stands



I used the Greens from the Everlasting collection and the Reds/Pinks from Everlasting and Hello Sunshine collections. 

Everlasting

Hello Sunshine


EQ8 Original Mock-up


It was a joy to play with these beautiful pinks and greens. While the red/green color palette is definitely evocative of Christmas, the softening of the reds into pinks makes Newington a fitting quilt for both Valentine's Day and Spring.  

Of course, if you are not fan of pinks, here is a different version for you :-)


You are welcome

12" blocks plus a 2" border. The swirling secondary blocks create the rectangle shapes adding movement around the stars - like a celebrity surrounded by a throng of fans.


Basting the Beauty

The batting is Hobbs. I quilted using my walking foot and the squiggly stitch following the 2" grid of the piecing. 

Quilting


A Pistachio Green binding was the perfect finishing touch.

Green Binding


These pictures were taken in February when the snow was packed tight after an unusually cold spell. 

Cozy Inside, Frigid Outside


Location Courtesy - Manveen's Home


Cozy Quilt + Christmas Tree + Snow Outside = Lifestyle Shot


Bundled in sweater, jacket, hat, scarf and gloves I modeled the queen size quilt, while Mari took the outdoor pictures.

Thank you, Mari


Isn't she a beauty?


I'd happily take her to my bed :-D


Crushing on you!


Paint Splatter Backing

And one last look at her.

Warm & Inviting

When you think of holidays, what color palette speaks to you - Red/Green or Blue/White? Let me know in the comments.



In other news, I have completed Rainbow Scrap challenge Purple Blocks for September.  Sharing with Angela's Linky Party.

Purple for September


I wish that your weekend is rejuvenating, allowing you time to recover before that dreadful Monday comes knocking. I will be sharing with all my favorite linky parties. See full list on the sidebar.

24 comments:

  1. OMG - this is one of your most beautiful designs! I love it, especially in those Christmas-y colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the beautiful design, publication, and being able to share Newington with us! I think of red and green as a classic holiday color palette, but I do love and use blue and white in my own home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sara -- has to be one of your best designs. It's gorgeous and I love the movement in it. Congratulations on making it into another magazine publication!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty PURPLE progress and congrats on your most recent quilt publication, Preeti!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a great Christmas beauty! Your purple blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m not usually a fan of Christmas quilts, but I love this one - in the red/pink and green, just like you made it. I love the range of reds and pinks and greens. It makes it look more modern and not as traditional as most holiday quilts, which I think helps it pass muster for me.
    I still never figured out what your block is, but that doesn’t matter. If I ever decide to make it, I’ll buy the pattern, and find out that way.
    Hope you’re doing well and that things are going as well as possible at your job!
    How’s your kitten? 🐾🐈🐈‍⬛πŸ₯°

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely Christmas quilt, it makes me feel like the cold and festive days are just around the corner ;) I love both color combinations: red and green, and blue and white or silver. Congratulations on your new publication! Thank you for sharing your beautiful work and linking up. Have a nice, peaceful weekend. Hugs and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quilt! I love the colours you chose. It’s a versatile pattern and could be made in many different colour ways. I tend to make winter quilts rather than Christmas quilts as I can leave them out beyond the Christmas season. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous quilt! I am a traditionalist and love red and white....but after Xmas....have to move to icey blues!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You knocked out of the park, yet again, Preeti. I had fun figuring out how you drafted the pattern. You have a great eye for creating something unexpected, that looks complex, but is actually relatively simple. I frequently use alternating blocks in my work, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am impressed that you could quilt that beautiful quilt on a domestic machine. I struggle so much with the weight and bulk of any quilt when I try to quilt it on my machine. I think I need to have a table next to me to reduce some of the drag.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CinnaMint. Love red and green especially for a happy holiday season. Blue/white/silver for a more subdued season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS. Is a certain someone a cover hog?

    ReplyDelete
  14. newington is a beaut!!! She shines!! and perfect reminder to get our Christmas quilts going!! Congrats on the publication. I like all Christmas colors - I even added pink one year haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. So nice to see this pretty quilt again (without the snow!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Newington turned out beautifully! Congrats on having another quilt published.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the variation in the colors; it gives the quilt so much movement! And that crisp white background sets off the stars like fresh snow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a happy holiday quilt! Gosh it sure looks like it was cold outside--the snow was frozen! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2026/09/16/wednesday-wait-loss-502

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is gorgeous, Preeti. That snow would be most welcome to me right now. These high 90-100 with well over heat indices are a killer. Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is absolutely stunning!!! Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  22. great quilt! I love that backing-wish it were still available. I have a few partial strips remaining from my bolt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Newington quilt is absolutely beautiful, Preeti! The colors are so fresh and cheerful, and the quilting texture looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing the lovely fabric details too!

    ReplyDelete