Sunday, September 25, 2016

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Queen's Necklace (Large Category)

If you are a quilter/blogger, you must have heard of the Blogger's Quilt Festival, hosted by Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side.  This year I decided to enter the Queen's Necklace Quilt in the Large Quilts category.

Finished Quilt - 70" by 86"

I made this quilt for my mother, who is recovering from back surgery.  I blogged about it earlier here and here.

I wanted the quilt to be visually stunning - a bold pattern that engages the eye and draws you in.

A Queen's Necklace

I realized that quilt blocks that make secondary patterns are the ones that make the eye travel along the pattern lines, till your eyes spot the secondary pattern and then there is this AHA moment.  Oh look circles!!!

Basted

Since I would visit and leave in ten days, I wanted her to engage with the quilt and may be, just maybe forget about her pain - even if for a little bit.

The choice of the colors was simple - pink and orange.  My mom likes warm and bright colors.
The choosing of 20 fabrics that were all bright and yet distinct from each other, while none of them stood out too much - that took a little (a lot of) agonizing.
Orange & Pink

Pink and Orange became Blush, Berry, Coral, Peach, Melon, Rose, Fuchsia, Azalea, Camellia...and so on.  You get the picture.





I chose a dark purple border and quilted it using my walking foot in gentle curves. Thanks to Jacquie Gering.  The choice of a striped fabric in candy colors for the binding, matched perfectly.

Purple Border, Candy Stripes Binding

My mom is a sewist (and a perfectionist).  She is the one who spot errors quickly.  I wanted this one to be perfect.  Since my mom loved the quilt, I believe it is.

That is why I chose to enter it in the festival.

Dimpled, after a wash









My dear friend Sandra (Musings of a Menopausal Melon) provided the necessary push.



Please take a look at all of the quilts.  They are a celebration of color and a feast for the eyes.
I do hope that you will vote for the Queen's Necklace.

39 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous. Your mom is a lucky lady. I hope her recovery is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is already a winner, Preeti. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a stunning quilt! I love the colors, and a big fan of blocks with a secondary pattern. I will vote for yours for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right about the quilt being perfect--it's gorgeous! And as Mari said earlier...you are already a winner. I am thrilled to see it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (sorry I hit publish too quickly) Good luck with the quilt festival!

      Delete
  5. Great quilt. Wonderful colours and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winner Winner,,, Chicken Dinner:)))
    This is indeed a "perfect quilt" congrats..:) GB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dimples - after a wash - love the look!
    This quilt has great colors and is the perfect gift to cheer a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! I love the crinkly look of a quilt after washing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous and so glad your mom loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, yes, yes, I am so glad you entered this one. The colors and fabrics are delicious, and I love the story behind the quilt as much as the quilt itself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful quilt! I just love your colour combo, you certainly had a good variety there with your pinks & oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your color choices! It's a great quilt

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a fun and bright quilt. All the agonizes over the fabrics paid off, it's a gorgeous quilt. Hope your mother has recovered well from her back surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning colors and the quilting really finishes it perfectly! I bet your mom enjoyed convalescing under it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! This is so beautiful! You have used my favourte colours and pattern - just gorgeus! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks beautiful and with lots of impact as you planned!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you shared this one again. It is beautiful. 20 fabrics. Wow! They all look so good together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woo HOO Preeti! How I adore seeing this sparkling beauty again. I love thinking about its life in India now, the perfect setting for a perfect quilt. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! Love the bright and intense colors and your simple quilting. Wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would never have put these colors together, at least not until I saw this quilt. They are an amazing combination. I'm always surprised to see quilts that look like they're made with curves only to find that the arrangement creates that impression. It is so with this quilt.
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! I loved the quilt and then I saw the photo of your fabrics. I agree with Nancy, I never would have put them together! You stepped out of your comfort zone and what an amazing quilt you created! I'm sure you mama loved it - after all it was from her daughter! :) Congratulations on such a stunning quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've always been drawn to bold, strong contrasts, and this quilt is no disappointment! This is one of my favorite color combos, and in fact I like it so much, you are looking at my living room colors! A stunning finish and I'm sure a spirit lifter for your mom - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is stunning. What a wonderful thoughtful quilt for your mother. It is a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful and awesome quilt this is and what a heartwarming story! Preeti, you never cease to amaze me with your talent..

    ReplyDelete
  25. I voted for this one. Love the colors and the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful and fun quilt! You created a bright and wonderful gift!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very pretty! I really like designs that make circles without using curves. Good luck in the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh WOW, you got second place, congratulations!!!! So happy for you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is a wonderful quilt. I'm so glad that you entered it, and that I got to see it. I didn't get to see much of the festival....I seemed to have trouble negotiating the links this time. But these are lovely colors together, used in an exciting pattern.
    And I do love the 'after-wash-dimpling' !

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this quilt so much! I normally work with a cooler color palette, but this quilt definitely has me considering busting out some warmer tones!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, that is a fantastic quilt, I'm sure your mother loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous quilt! Can you tell me where you found the pattern? I've been searching online without any luck!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Barb,
    Crazy Mom Quilts has a free pattern/tutorial on Craftsy. A while ago, dontcallmebetsy did a Kaleidoscope Quilt Along.
    I did not use these patterns, but made my own.
    Preeti.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh WOW, you got second place, congratulations!!!! So happy for you!:)

    ReplyDelete