Sunday, August 24, 2014

Paul's Quilt - Week One (Happy Interruption)

Quilt-Making in Theory - Pick a Pattern, Buy the Fabrics, Cut the Fabric, Make the Blocks, More Blocks, Many more Blocks, Piece, Border, Batting, Backing, Quilting, Binding, Label

Paul's Quilt - First Block

Quilt-Making in Reality - Buy the Fabrics, Fight over the Pattern, Cut the Fabric, Make the Blocks, Interruption, Make More Blocks, Distraction, More Blocks, Weekend Trip, More Blocks, Frustration, More Blocks, Boredom...Give yourself a pep talk "Finish it already"...


Once again, Paul and I had a conversation. It went like this:

Me: I have been invited to a birthday. Will you come with me?
Paul: No, babe. I got stuff to do. You should go.
Me: I am not sure.
Paul: Why not?
Me: I don't know them well. And I have not figured out a present either.

That is a lie. A quilt works for every purpose.

Paul: Whose birthday is it?
Me: One year old girl.
Paul: Aww. Why can't you give her one of your quilts?
Me:  I could. But I need to make one. And quickly. The birthday is next week.
Paul: Well then, make a quick quilt.
Me: How can I make anything else? I am still working on the blocks of your quilt.
Paul: Fine, make a quick baby quilt and then come back to my quilt.
Me: Thank you!!! You know I did not want to stop your quilt and work on anything else (mischievous grin)
Paul: Uh Huh. Brat!!!

When Paul calls me a brat, then I know I have achieved my purpose in life!!!

Was I manipulative?
Absolutely Yes.

Did I mind working on the bright happy colors in the middle of the dark blues and blacks?
Absolutely Not.

The Birthday Baby Quilt
I did have to go to a birthday. I chose to make a bright, colorful D9P. Here are the pictures.
Bright Happy Colors

Disappearing Nine Patch

Backing - Birds, Buntings and Alphabet Blocks :-)

Used a Wide Decorative Stitch to Secure the Binding to Quilt Front

Rich Red & Gold Binding adds a Royal Touch!!!

The quilt finished at 42" square. Quilted it about 6.5" apart on my Janome. Since I used Warm & Natural Batting, I can quilt up to 10" apart. Yay!!! This is my 12th quilt in 2014. I hope the baby and her parents like the quilt.

I have several reasons to love this quilt - the bright happy colors, the welcome break it provided from the dark blues/blacks, the super cute backing, and the red and gold binding is really the best part. What do you like the most about this quilt?



3 comments:

  1. Your quilts are always so nice and I can believe how fast you were!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You work so fast! Wow!

    Your "brat" comment was priceless.

    What i like best about this quilt is the circular fabric that gives it a sense of motion. Active, happy quilt for an active happy little one-year-old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not how you do it. Beautiful quilts. You have done so many already this year. Love the binding on the little ones quilt. Keep on quilting.

    ReplyDelete