Thursday, December 31, 2015

Terrace Garden and more...

Terrace Garden is the last quilt from the Sugarland Fall Festival Series.

Terrace Garden
As soon as I saw the Hello March pattern, I knew I had to make it.  It is layer cake and FQ friendly.

Terrace Garden is definitely "inspired" by Hello March.  I say inspired because in the frenzy of making 14 quilts in the 4-week period, instructions and directions may have been overlooked...AHEM!!!

The actual pattern looks a bit different than my version of it.  However, I am acknowledging the source/inspiration for Terrace Garden. Thank you Allison Harris (Cluck Cluck Sew).

I used the Lili-fied layer cake squares for making Terrace Garden.

Lili-fied Fabric

Just a gorgeous fabric line. Alas it is all gone now.
I used the pink and orange squares from Lili-fied in Candyland and just loved it.

The blocks are not square but rectangles, which gives the elongated look to the layout.  The original pattern is uniform, whereas my version is go-with-the-flow.  Or you can say fly-by-the-seat-of-my pants :-D

The batting my usual Warm & Natural.  For the backing I chose a very rich, dark and deep poinsettia fabric. The flowers are so densely packed that you can hardly see the background.

Poinsettias!!!
What a gorgeous fabric, indeed!!!

The quilting is a C-stitch. Once mirror imaged, it looks like puffy clouds.  I chose a dark purple for the binding, giving it a royal look - in my opinion.

Bound & Labelled
Oh how I love these colors together.

The finished quilt is 40" by 45"  and I am sure it will make a little girl very happy...someday.
For now, I keep it waiting for the right recipient.

You make me happy...
Terrace Garden is my 28th quilt of 2015.  It has been a roller-coaster of a ride!!!
I will be linking with my favorite linky parties.
I love hearing from you because your comments brighten my day!!!


Before I say goodbye to 2015 and wish you a very Happy New Year, I have one last thing to say...
I made three quilts for the Stillborn Bereavement Group.  They were each 32" square.

Making these quilts was a very sobering experience for me.  It definitely helped me get back on track after the supreme disappointment of the Sugarland Fall Festival.


Small quilts were quick and easy to put together.
Labelling them was the hard part.

We have a saying in India.  When you give, make sure that the left hand knows not what the right hand gives. Translation - giving should be anonymous, without any desire for recognition. 

Since all quilts must be labelled, I was definitely torn between the Indian in me and the quilter me.  I turned to the M* Forum for sage advice.  

Here is one of the replies I received.
SewLucky from Alberta said - "I label my charity quilts and sign them. One of the places I make for asks for a label with at least the quilter's first name and city. I say sign it, because it is very likely the recipient will never meet you, but the family will be very grateful to a donor named Preeti."

Thank you so much, SewLucky. 
Following the advice, I ditched my professional labels and made three handwritten labels.

Kiss Me Quick
Hug Me Now
Keep Me Close

The quilts were mailed to Sue in New York.  Thank you for all that you do for grieving parents.

Ready to mail
I honestly hope that no parent would ever be in the need of one of these quilts.  But if they do, I also hope that these quilts can bring some comfort to them.  

Few days later, I received this card in the mail.
Note
I was tearful and speechless.
I have chosen to not add these three quilts to my 2015 Quilts page. I am sure you understand. 

13 comments:

  1. Other than my LOVE of sewing and being creative, you have found the only reason I quilt....The chance to make someone else feel cared about. There is so much to share in this life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each of those three quilts will be well received and appreciated. Hats off to you and this charity! Happy New Year Pretti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilts are beautiful. What a wonderful thing for you to do. I really like the label that you put on the three quilts. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More beautiful quilts. I especially love the names on the three little ones. Doing the handmade labels was a great idea. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The go with the flow look of your Terrace Garden makes it look like modern art Preeti. It turned out beautiful!
    That is so wonderful that you made the bereavement quilts. I'm a big believer in giving anonymously, but love SewLucky's advice. Your name is a very nice way to Preeti-fy a quilt label, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Such good advice on the labeling...a sobering, yet sweet end to the year. Wishing a happy new year to you Preeti :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got a lump in my throat reading this and seeing your bereavement quilts. I made one for a stillborn nephew of mine back in 1996. He was 7" long and my quilt was 14" square. My sister was very touched that she had something to wrap his little body in . Nurses asked to take photos of it to share with the staff about how such a thing brings dignity and a very personal touch. It becomes a family keepsake .Many of these babies so prematurely that the moms have never had a shower, have no blankets or clothes because it happens so quickly. So keep making these, Preeti. And keep labeling them by hand--it really is heartwarming to know that a real person with a real name took time and care to handcraft something for a complete stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Terrace Garden quilt and your fly by the seat of your pants layout. I haven't seen the original . Thanks for visiting my blog and don't worry about me being too organized, it will never happen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful reading this blog today. And, great quilts to look at too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrance Garden turned out beautifully. Your donation quilts are lovely and for such a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lot of quilts. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete