Friday, October 19, 2018

Hannah

Do you know Hannah?
Hannah
Here is how I came to know of her.

One Friday, I came home from work and kicked off my shoes. One landed face down - did not care.
Then threw the bag and purse on the couch. While the chicken pilaf was warming in the microwave, I got out of my work clothes, and threw them in the laundry basket, more or less.

Stacked

Whacked


Carrying my dinner plate in one hand, the glass of water in the other, and cellphone tucked tightly under my arm, I walked into the living room. I turned on the television and settled comfortably on the couch. Life was good!

Shuffled

Stitched

Pressed and Trimmed
Then I said to the blue button on the remote - Netflix.  I clicked on the very first suggestion. It looked like a stand-up comedy show by a woman who spoke with an accent.  I am a woman with an accent and I can be funny, especially when I am not trying (according to Paul).



No Blues

Between mouthfuls of spicy chicken and hot rice, I watched and listened and laughed. Once I laughed so loudly that I woke Paul from his nap.

Design Wall
He ambled into the living room, kissed the top of my head and walked away.  By then I had finished my dinner. I continued watching.

Quilting
But I had stopped laughing. After a few minutes of sadness, I had started sobbing softly. Since Paul was now awake, he heard my sobs. He walked into the living room, sat beside me on the couch and held me as I cried, sobs rocking my body.


Almost there

I felt her angst and her humiliation, while I was completely floored by her talent and delivery.


Pieced Backing
Next morning, I pulled out yellow, green, pink and purple fabrics - anything but blue.
And made a stack and whack quilt.

Yellow, Pink and Green
When the flimsy was finished, I was somewhat disappointed. No, I did not hate it. I just wanted to continue working on it. So I made a pieced backing.


Binding

The backing and binding fabrics are very similar.
The quilt finished at 45" by 53".  I have decided to call her Hannah.

Machine Binding

If you wish to better understand what happened to me, look for Hannah Gadsby (Nanette) on Netflix. 

Finished!!!
She is amazing and she is powerful. She completely destroyed my happy Friday mood in an hour. 
And I have no regrets. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. 


Sharp

Bright
If you don't already know the brilliant and incisive Hannah Gadsby, I want to grab you and tell you - please watch Hannah Gadsby.  If you can watch just one thing this weekend, make it Hannah.


Purple Pops
There are many comedians - funny, scathing and brilliant.  But Hannah makes you think and feel and hurt, while making you laugh.

Backing

That is me with Hannah

If you have thoughts about Hannah - the quilt or Hannah Gadsby - the comedian, I'd love to hear them. Yes, your comments make me happy and also because I am nothing without this community.


Labelled
Fake grass - real quilt


See you around, Hannah!

I will be sharing with all my favorite linky parties, see full list on the sidebar.

35 comments:

  1. Your quilt is very bright, colorful, and fun. You always have such interesting stories surrounding your creative process. One never knows what to expect! I got a little chuckle from your picture of 'fake grass, real quilt'. Have a wonderful, funderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun and happy quilt! I really love your choice of quilting and the black binding. I am a huge fan because it has so much magenta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you snuck in a tutorial while telling us the story. Great scrappys quilt Preeti.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Hannah the quilt - and now am looking forward to my netflix time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty and happy, just like its maker! I bet Hannah Gadsby would be happy to know that she moved you to make this lovely quilt. Have a good weekend with no blues and happier comedians!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this quilt. It is modern, bright and cheery. Well done, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post. I'll have to see what Hannah can do for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous post and a lovely quilt; no blues!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Preeti, Love the quilt!! You seem to pop these out almost effortlessly - at least you make it appear so. I will check out Hannah and let you know what I think. You have made me very curious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sew enjoy your posts. Your story telling and pictures are incredible. So is the quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You may have cried, but this quilt made me smile. It has a joy about it and love the backing fabric with the contrast of the color blocks. Great quilt and story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Preeti, Thank you for introducing Hannah the quilt as well as Hannah Gadsby. I will watch her this weekend. Love the quilt - so cheerful. I always read your blog posts twice - once for the words and once for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a heart as big as the universe. I love your Hannah. I love and admire you so much for your heart, your love, and your caring for all others and so appreciate your talented mind and hands. Thank you for sharing your love, each quilt and your heartfelt experiences. You are unique. You are blessed and have blessed so many others by being yourself. Thank you.
    I am still waiting for your first book of inspiratiion and quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pretti! I am sorry to say I do not have Netflix but I will still try to watch Hannah. Your Hannah quilt is wonderful, and the story behind her is even more so. Thank you for being a voice of reason and concern when there has been so little of it in the news of late. {{Hugs}} I always enjoy your posts, and I think Shelley K is on to something. I think you would write an excellent book, around your quilting time. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Preeti, I have to say you took me through quite a few emotions just reading this post. I'm going to have to watch Hannah, aren't I? I'll need kleenex too, right? I love how your thoughts and emotions about the show ended up as a quilt. And Paul needs to be hugged for all the love he gave you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your Hannah quilt! It is so bright and cheerful :) And apparently I need to check out Hannah on Netflix :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Hannah is beautiful and vibrant, I have heard about Hannah the comedian, I am off to watch her this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your Hannah stack and slice quilt. Thanks for sharing the in progress photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are a wonderful story teller Preeti! You take us from one emotion to the next, perhaps just at Hannah did to you. With so much that isn't laughable these days, its always important to find the humor to lift us up. Equally important is taking the time to think and feel. I don't pretend to understand our crazy world, but a few laughs along the way takes away some of the stress and anger!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your Hannah quilt, and will definitely look for Hannah on Netflix! I enjoyed seeing how you made the blocks and hearing about what inspired you, Preeti.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whenever I feel blue or need to think, I always head to my sewing room. Your quilt turned out lovely. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your story, and your quilt. Thanks for sharing your journey to make Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love living in the country, but our internet service leaves a lot to be desired. Therefore, no Netflix. One think I would love to have access to but don't. :( So no Hannah for me. But Hannah the quilt is fabulous! I especially love the way you did the back. It looks great, and I really like those little labels. I gotta get me some of them! Thanks for sharing your story and your quilt on Main Crush Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your Hannah quilt is beautiful I loved your story as you made the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a pretty quilt! The story made me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for the story of your Hannah quilt, I love the delivery! I will watch Hannah Gadsby, even though it will elicit a variety of emotions. I really don't like sad;-(. Enjoy the rest of your week Preeti.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I promise to check out Hannah on my day off this week. She must be very powerful to inspire such a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely quilt! I have seen that "method" before but never tried it. But I looove the result, Maybe someday :) Hugs xo

    PS: No Netflix for me, but I take your storytelling and your amazing quilt as a substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hard to understand why your disappointed with this quilt - it's quite nice. Not sure if I'll check out Hannah G yet.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the laugh the fun and the tutorial on how you felt and the quilt Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't have Netflix so I can't check out Hannah but I do love Hannah the quilt. I have not used this method but it looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for sharing your quilt and Hannah Gadsby’s show. I have to say that even days later I am still reeling from her powerful stories. I agree with Angela Walters, “quilting is my therapy” too and most likely yours, judging by your beautiful quilt. You really should send her a photo, I bet she would like it. Thank you for being you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've been inspired to quilt by many people and many things but never a comedienne or comedy show. Interestingly enough I really like comedy.
    Hannah Gadsby will have lots more followers thanks to your post.
    You have a way of making me think every time I read your blog. (I think I've told you that before. ) Anyway thanks for all of that. And you, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

  34. I will check out Hannah and thank you for sharing your discovery with us. I'm not able to comment on today's post (Nov 1st) for some reason so i'm writing here. I felt I needed to say something. I am grateful that you brought up this recent synagogue shooting. Our quilt blogs are usually politics-free and filled with mostly positive discussions, but sharing our feelings ought to also be encouraged. I am alarmed by each new shooting. I was most shocked by Sandy Hook and then the church, for which I can't remember the location. Sadly, I was not as shocked by the synagogue shooting as I had hoped I would be. I guess as a Jew I am aware of history where we have been targets time and time again. I don't mean to say that I am at all Ok with the shooting or that it's not a horrible tragedy by a deranged individual, it's just that I've become numb. I just had returned from a funeral of my 53 year old cousin, who died of a heart attack. Seeing his father, my uncle, talk about burying his "best friend" was enough to send depress me. Then Saturday happened. This is perhaps the worst outcome of all, that I am saturated with emotion and can not even feel shocked by the mass shootings. So yes, please talk about it. I must wrestle with how to make sense of it all. Shootings in houses of worship are horrible...and aim to destroy the very purpose that first began our democratic experience here in the US. Freedom of religion means free to pray without discrimination or interference. If we don't talk about these things, I'm afraid we will all become numb and powerless to push for change. I'm working on it...thanks for sharing your thoughts too.

    ReplyDelete