Monday, September 16, 2019

Sisterhood Grows

When Juanita (from Canada) asked for my permission to use the International Sister Quilt Block for a charity wall hanging to be donated to "The Love of Africa", my answer was a resounding YES.  I also offered to send one sister block as a starter, which was received with happy enthusiasm.

My contribution block

Accompanying Letter

Juanita promised to send a picture of the finished wall-hangings. I smiled. Folks promise things but then life happens or they forget. So I was very pleasantly surprised when Juanita actually kept her promise.

Juanita's Wall Hanging for "The Love of Africa"

Thank you Juanita



In another part of the world, Raewyn decided to dip her toes in the pool of sisterhood blocks. Surprisingly (or not) she found herself completely immersed in sisterly hugs.  I so appreciate that Raewyn included the link to the original tutorial in her posts, and it is only fair that I return the favor. Do check out her blog and their lovely dresses.



The third story of sisterhood comes from the village of Deurne, located in the south of Netherlands. Some time ago, Mien found the older version of the blocks (African Ladies), drafted it and started making blocks. Of course she could not stop at one and soon enough, she had a quilt. She also modified the design to add feet to the sister's block. I love that the block is open to modification.  Here is her spectacular quilt.

Vlisco on the Catwalk by Mien Boerekamp


The fabrics are absolutely gorgeous. Mien used Vlisco fabrics manufactured in the adjacent town of Helmond - fabrics she had acquired over the years. You can learn more about the Vlisco fabric at https://www.vlisco.com.

I saw these fabulously bold and colorful fabrics at the Philadelphia Museum Art in 2016, and shared on my blog.  Read more about the Philadelphia Museum of Art exhibition including a slide show and
Q&A with Wale Oyejide - one of the designers.



And finally, here are my sisters in purple for September edition of the RSC 2019. Sharing with Angela's Linky Party.

Floral Sister

Tula loving Sister

Garden Sister

Oceanic Sister

Butterfly Queen Sister

Bird Sister

What a Hoot Sister

Woodland Sister

Purple Paisley Sister

Bright Blooms Sister

All of the Purple Sisters


I will be sharing with all my favorite linky parties, see full list on the sidebar.
As usual I'd love to hear from you - my quilty sister (or brother).


30 comments:

  1. What fun to see all the blocks and quilts made with this pattern, Preeti. My two ladies are waiting patiently on my design wall for others to join them. Hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so beautiful! It's hard to pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to see sisters from around the world! You keep finding the most perfect fabrics for your ladies' dresses and headwear, Preeti. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these quilts and blocks are just wonderful. It's so fun to see all of the different dresses in the blocks. I can't wait to see your finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun seeing other 'Sisterhood' quilts and blocks. I didn't realize you were making them for your RSC project...brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the purple sisters! I also love how this block is spreading - literally - around the world. Truly international sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Preeti, I love this block you designed! And what a happy thing to know that the sisterhood grows exponentially! Hope all’s well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog. I love that you a sharing lots of sister's blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love any post relating to the International Sisters, so thanks for all the pictures and links. I’m in the midst of making charity wall hangings for Africa, too. The group is Harambe Humanitarian, which has a twofold purpose of helping girls and women in Kenya with menstruation education, pads and other needs. Plus we are building a library (we already have the land and 16,000 books) in the Mau forest region of the Massai homeland area of Kenya. Education and empowerment for our African Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sisters and the sisters of the sisters are all so wonderful! I want to join in but it will be sometime...they are just too enticing to not want to make a few.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking good, Preeti! I must pull mine back out now that my design floor has a vacancy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the purple sisters! How wonderful that others are making there own sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Preeti the sisterhood is alive and well. It is so nice to see them popping up all over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always admire your Sister quilt blocks and am delighted to see them propagating worldwide. Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are adorable - all sorts of sisters from all over the world. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Each sister is so lovely, that I can not pick a favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Preeti! I love each and every one of these, and would be very hard pressed to pick a favorite. I still have this project on my list of to-dos. It going to make it to the top of the list soon. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always knew you were an inspiration! I love your international sisters. They are dancing their way into many hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love seeing all these Sisters together! What a great block you've helped put into the world!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, what fun! Sisters with feet! Love that idea! Now they can curtsey and move around to chat with each other when you are not there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the fashion statements your Sisters make. Mien's version is stunning! Looking forward to seeing your community of sisters come together in a finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What precious stories! I am so glad you share them - your sisters for this month are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another gathering of beautifully dress International women. Since you've been making these all year in the monthly RSC colors, you must have a very large number and it is a relatively big block, so how big a quilt are you planning to make or will it become several charming smaller quilts?
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great post, Preeti!! Thanks for sharing the Sisters of Blogland with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh the sisters are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is impossible to choose a favorite. Every block is beautiful. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Preeti, I am not the least surprised that the sisterhood grows. It's interesting that a group from Canada used a block from an Indian quilter in the US to make charity wall hangings for "For the Love of Africa." How many degrees of separation are we from having sisters around the world? I'm kidding, of course, but doesn't it seem the sisterhood could be in the party game?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my goodness. I need to just have my Internet taken away permanently, or I will keep starting new projects without finishing any of the old ones... I wanna be in the Sisterhood, too!!! And as I'm scrolling through the images of all of your lovely Sisters blocks, I find myself imagining what those blocks would look like with Cleopatra's Fan alternate blocks? Because I did buy that Accuquilt die last month... So naturally I went straight to EQ8 to do a block search, but there is nothing like your Sisters block in there unless it goes by a completely different name. I could draft it, though, following your excellent and generously posted instructions... It is SO HARD to focus on one thing until it's finished, with so many other fabulous projects out there begging to be started!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your purple sisters are wonderful. So many beautiful fabrics. The wall hanging looks amazing and that quilt is stunning. So happy to see Sisters coming together all over the world. You have started a loving celebration of friendship all around the world Preeti.😁

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Preeti, thank you so much for inspiring all of us. When I saw this pattern I knew I had to make the Sisters!! I have fabric from our trip to South Africa last year and I wanted to use some of it. I made this table runner for our friend's housekeeper. They both live in South Africa. As soon as I figure out how to get you the pictures, I'll send them.

    ReplyDelete