Sunday, May 1, 2022

Island Batik Triangle Tricks Challenge

I am not sure how/why the name came to me.  I guess it takes three to make a band (two is just a pair/duo), just like you need three sides to make a triangle. The colors are definitely boyish. It fits and so it sticks.  

Meet Boy Band.

Boy Band


The Island Batik challenge for May is simple - get out of your comfort zone (working with squares and rectangles) and work with triangles.




I could have used HSTs or even HRTs because there is no dearth of ideas. But staying true to the challenge, I pieced triangles. 


Design wall is a must


Piecing rows

I used blue, green, aqua and purple fabrics from stash builders.  I used Aurifil thread for piecing (50 wt) and quilting (40 wt). Schmetz Needles are my favorite - always. I used Microtex 80/12 for piecing and 90/14 for quilting.


Basted


40 wt Aurifil Thread for Quilting

Boy Band finished at 37" by 46", perfect for a baby boy.  I used Hobbs 80/20 Cotton-Polyester bleached batting. Walking Foot quilting and scrappy pieced binding. 


Thank you, Paul!


Blue & Greens



Hello handsome!



Yummy Fabrics


This completes the May challenge :-)
I can close this door and move on to the next.
But I cannot shut the door on those who are facing new challenges and fighting old battles anew.
Framed Triangles



Last year, a record 26 anti-LGBTQ+ bills were enacted into law across ten states. In 2022, at least 320 anti-LGBTQ+ bills are already pending in state legislatures. Lawmakers in statehouses nationwide are seeking to ban transgender youth from participating in sports; criminalize medically necessary, life-saving healthcare for transgender youth; and ban discussion of LGBTQ+ youth and families in classrooms. 
Laws that would affect access to medical care for transgender people, parental rights, social and family services, student sports, or access to public facilities such as restrooms, unnecessarily and uncharitably single out already marginalized groups for additional disadvantage. They seek to put the authority of state government behind discrimination and promote mistreatment of a targeted LBGTQ population.


Adding background


These laws may have no direct impacts on you and me. But they do affect our communities, our workplaces and our country. That is exactly why more than 200 major companies have joined together to sign on to the Human Rights Campaign and Freedom for All Americans Business Statement on Anti-LGBTQ+ Legislation. Together, these companies are united in opposing the wave of anti-LGBTQ+ legislation, much of which specifically harms transgender youth, in states across the country. 

With Harmony (Triangles on Parade), I am adding my voice to the fight that continues.  

Using Island Batik solid white, I cut random triangles, framing them in rainbow colors (Island Batik Solids - Amethyst, Cobalt Blue, Turquoise, Green, Lime Green, Yellow, Orange, Red, Pink and Fuchsia). 

Harmony - Triangles on Parade


I used the Island Batik light gray solid as a background. Each triangle is different and yet they are in complete harmony with each other. Only if we humans could do the same.

It was a challenge to make the irregular shapes fit but so worth the effort. I have named them Harmony. Harmony  finished at 12" by 34" and I am very happy with the result.

Me: See my triangles on parade.
Paul: Are they proud?
Me: They ARE all colors, so I'd say yes!

I used Aurifil thread for piecing (50 wt) and quilting (40 wt) and Schmetz Needles - Microtex 80/12 for piecing and 90/14 for quilting.  I used Hobbs 80/20 Cotton-Polyester bleached batting. Walking Foot quilting and solid light gray binding. 

A few more pictures.

Cool ones

Walking Foot Quilting

Warm Ones


Pop of Colors!

And one last look.

Small Quilt - Mighty Message!


Harmony is rainbow-colored and Harmony is made from scraps. Not strictly a Rainbow Scrap challenge quilt, I will be sharing Harmony with Angela's RSC Linky. I hope Harmony will be allowed to the party.

I will be with mom in India, from May 2 - May 14, as she undergoes surgery. Please keep her in your prayers. 

The tutorial for Hands to Help will be published on May 8, 2022.  Mari has kindly agreed to share that post with all my favorite linky parties. See full list on the sidebar.  

Love & Hugs to you.

34 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts Preeti. Wishing your Mom a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilts as always, Preeti! Safe travels as you go visit your mama! I hope her surgery goes well and she recovers quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to your mom and speedy recovery. Pretty cute quilts too;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your mother will come through her surgery really well. I agree human rights is on the decline in America I don't know what is happening in this world, taking away rights, restricting health choices, book banning - and so many people do not seem to understand where this can lead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you’ll be able to finally visit your family in India. My prayers to your mom for a speedy recovery from her surgery. (BTW, I’m flying to Seattle on the 12th to be with my daughter for several days while she too undergoes surgery).

      Boy Band and Harmony are amazing and original. But we expect no less from you! The treatment of the LGBTQ+ community in (Republican) legislatures is nothing short of shameful. They’re all about restricting rights (marginalized people, voting, women’s bodies) while pretending it’s somehow “patriotic” and “American”. It couldn’t be further from the truth.

      Delete
  5. I am back to reading blogs in the morning with coffee. Yahoo!! Love the Boy Band quilt. The colors are a wonderful combination. But the favorite for today is the Harmony quilt. It is so meaningful to me as I am so frustrated by the climate in today's culture. I love how you speak out and use your craft to spread a message. Plus the triangles and the way you pieced the background. What a puzzle that must have been to put together. Honestly, this would be a great pattern to draft - if possible - because I wouldn't try something like this without the help of instructions. Anyway, just a thought. Thinking of you and your mom. Hope she heals quickly. Even though it isn't a great reason for a visit with her, enjoy your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t know how my above comment was published as a reply instead of a stand-alone comment; the form I filled out and buttons I pressed were the same as always (and the only choice).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing a smooth trip and an excellent outcome for your Mother! May you both find joy amid the health fears.

    Love both quilts, but it was the humanity as I read about Harmony. Thank you for your kindness and your willingness to speak out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the beautiful quilts and the world view, sometimes I get so sheltered in my little world that I don't see what's going on. Thank you for speaking out. And thanks for sharing your quilts!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Safe travels, Preeti, and I hope all goes well with your mom's surgery. Love both of these, and the the message and power behind Harmony. Boy Band is fun. Harmony is beautiful and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This triangle quilt is so beautiful, and I love all of it. Hobbs 80/20 is perfect for a baby quilt, and I almost always use it, for any quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a safe trip, and I wish a speedy and complete recovery to your mother. I LOVE the small quilt, both the quilt itself and its message.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Preeti, both your quilts and your words are beautiful and meaningful! Thank you for speaking out. Have a good trip to see your mom - we're all wishing her well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending safe travel and healing wishes your way along with a thank you for speaking out. Why are kindness, compassion, and inclusion so hard for so many?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love both quilts, but especially the statement you are making with Harmony. I hope your Mom's surgery goes well. Travel safely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Preeti, these triangle quilts are splendid! Please consider turning Hands to Help table runner into a pattern. I’m sorry to hear your Mom had to have surgery, I’ll definitely say a prayer 🙏 for her. She’s lucky to have you with her for support. ~Diana K

    ReplyDelete
  16. Preeti, I'll be thinking about you today and for the next two weeks as you travel those thousands of miles to be with your mom. Hope you have some handwork to keep you occupied! {{{{Hugs}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Preeti, I am so glad you are with your mom right now as she is going through surgery. I will be praying for her, for you, and for your entire family. I am proud of you. Proud to know you. Sending you lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely there will be well wishes spread out to your mom. Pretty quilts. Love Boy Band! It would be lovely in any color.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope your trip to India was uneventful and that your Mom's surgery is successful with a speedy recovery. Thanks for using your voice and creativity to speak out on a critical subject.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two beautiful triangle projects! How fun it the name for the baby blue-green version?! You are so creative xo And I love your rainbow statement. Hopeing Harmany will inspire many people. And all the best for your Mom (and your trip). Squishy hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your triangle quilt! Prayers for your mom's quick recovery. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are my hero. Thank you for speaking out on a personally challenging issue. I am overwhelmed by all the restrictions some states are putting into law. It is time for us to become vocal and help swing the pendulum back to encourage individuals to be in charge of their own choices, allow all Americans to vote, protect the marginalized. Hope you have safely traveled to India (and you aren't overheating!) May your mother come through surgery safely and recover quickly. And, I must say, I LOVE both quilts especial Harmony and it's message.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love both of your triangle quilts, and I also love the sentiment behind "Harmony". I hope your mother's surgery goes well and that you have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous triangle quilt and runner. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wishing your mom a good surgery and a speedy recovery. Glad you could be there with her. I absolutely love both Boy Band ( I'm over the moon with that name) and Harmony is stunning in its simplicity and message. Thanks you for your voice!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your two triangle quilts are wonderful, and I really love Harmony for the quilt and the message. I hope your mom will quickly recover.
    Thank you for sharing,
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  27. As a classroom teacher, those laws are already having a chilling impact on what we feel free to say and to share. I had a student do a literary study of LGTBQ YA literature for her capstone project this year. I wonder if I would be able to help her with that project next year without being accused of woke indoctrination? Love the quilt though, so many happy colors all marching to their own beat.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love both of your quilts! Although working with triangles can be tricky you did a fabulous job and so worth it! I love your stand for the LGTBQ community! Prayers for your mom! Have a safe trip to India.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love Boy Band!!! those colors are some of my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amazing quilts. I wish a speedy recovery for your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Both great projects, Preeti! I really love the colors in Boy Band!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, forgot to sign in first, so I showed up anonymous!

      Delete
  32. Nice post thank you Danielle

    ReplyDelete