Friday, January 27, 2023

Nihal

The Hindi/Urdu word Nihal means happy and satisfied in every way.  Imagine a traveler coming from hot and dusty desert, with a parched throat.  They would become "Nihal" after they had a drink of cool and refreshing water. Happy and satisfied in every way!

Meet Nihal. 

Location Courtesy - Kids Play Structure in Mari's Backyard

To make Nihal, I used a pack of 10" squares - Cheers, designed by Carl and Linda Sullivan of Colourwerx. Cheers is from the Island Batik Spring 2022 Collection.  I also used Island Batik Solid light grey fabric for accent and binding. 




Nihal is published in Annie's Special Publication - Fun with Squares. The issue is available now. 

Nihal on the cover!

My friend and fellow Island Batik ambassador Connie says that I am now a Cover Girl :-)  From someone who has many quilts on covers, that is a big deal. No arguments from me.


Quilt Picture on the cover of the magazine, on top of the same quilt


Speaking of arguments, the following conversation happened. 

Me (supremely excited): Look Paul, my quilt is on the magazine cover.
Paul: Well, the way I see it, the magazine is on your quilt.
Me: That is me taking a cool picture.
Paul: Isn't that magazine sitting on top of your quilt?
Me: Yes, it is. But a picture of the same quilt is on the cover of the magazine too. 
Paul (finally getting it): Oh yeah!!! That is cool. Well-done, babe.

Nihal finished at 57" by 66". 

I took the brand new quilt to Mari's place.  She graciously let me model my quilt, while she took the pictures. The grey/beige stone wall provides the perfect backdrop, while the mortar lines echo the pattern in the quilt.

At Mari's House



Raise a glass to this!

I thought this picture was really cool but something was missing.

Cool

Fixed it.

Cheers!

If I am going to raise a tall glass of a refreshing tropical drink and say Cheers, I do need a pair of sunglasses. Don't you agree? I wonder what Linda and Carl will say.

And one more picture - an inside peek.

Win-Win, says Annie :-)


______________________________________________________

In RSC news, here are my January blocks for RSC2023.  Linking with Angela's Linky Party.

This being my third year as an ambassador, I had plenty of Island Batik blues from previous collections and stash builders.  

Island Batik Blues

The blue blocks are complete but it is too early to determine the layout. Whether I will complete the stars or if they will be disjointed/deconstructed is a matter of deliberation. I need a few more tropical drinks. May be a brainstorming with Mari?  





January is done. I am ready for February. Are you?

_________________________________________________________

Speaking of February, the Island Batik challenge for February is Puff Quilt.  I will be posting mine on Thursday, February 9.  I am using fabrics from Exuberance, a Fall 2022 collection, by Deb Tucker of Studio 180 Designs, which should be coming to stores in February.

Make sure you check the Island Batik blog in February, for awesome giveaways.

Puff Quilt in process

____________________________________________________________

Speaking of giveaways, here are the winners of the Unboxing giveaway - mpv61 and Auntlilly. Emails have been sent. 

Finally, speaking of winners, you know what makes me feel like a winner? 
A comment from you :-)  Truly makes my day.  

I will be sharing with all my favorite linky parties. See full list on the sidebar.

40 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your "Cover girl Quilt":))) well deserved!
    This is really a pretty one and I can see it in so many types of fabrics...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preeti Congratulations! You are definetly a cover girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Preeti!! Your quilt is like a cool and refreshing drink on a parched day. I love the colors and design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations, such a bright colorful quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nihal is a beautiful quilt and deserved to be on the cover. I really like your blue stars also. I like them as complete stars as opposed to disjointed but that might be because I'm a control freak! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like everything about your posts Preeti. The colors, the conversations with Paul, the way you name your quilts- everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Cover Girl! Another pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your designs all have such clean modern lines. I really like the simplicity of Nihal because it lets the color be the star. Great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations; Nihal looks beautiful on the cover and I hope you feel happy and satisfied in every way about the publication! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well CONGRATULATIONS, Cover Girl!! I'm loving what you have going on with those star blocks for your RSC project, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to you cover girl;) Very pretty quilt Preeti!

    ReplyDelete
  12. On the cover! Congratulations! I knew when we took those pictures that it was a winner. Perfect to chase away the January blues. And I know just what to do with those RSC blocks, too! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh those are such refreshing colors to see deep in this dark winter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on being a 'cover girl'! Beautiful bright and cheerful quilt, it would brighten up any room. Pretty blue blocks too, so many design possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nihal is definitely a colorful cover girl. Congrats.

    However, February -- is for groundhogs. Grumpf.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OWO!!! Congrats on being a cover girl, Preeti. Nihal quilt show all your happiness, so bright and full of color. Great and versatile blue blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, Cover Girl! Nihal is so bright and happy. A big contrast to the soothing cool blue stars you are working on. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blue star blocks are wonderful! I like that some are complete and some are not! Kind of like all of us! Works in Progress. CHEERS is a marvelous quilt too! Kind of takes you away to a tropical paradise! Oooh! Wouldn’t that be Marvelous’

    ReplyDelete
  19. Preeti, you are the definition of COOL, in my book! Your posts bring me lots of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on becoming a Cover Girl! Nihal is beyond delicious. You and Mari are both so lucky to live close to each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations, Preeti! It's a beautiful quilt and I do love your blue blocks as well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt is on the cover of a magazine? Congratulations, Preeti! We knew it was only a matter of time before it would happen. LOVE that bright and cheerful quilt, as well as those BLUE blocks for the RSC!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How wonderful to be a cover girl! It is a great quilt and one that looks perfect in that collection. Love your blue scrap blocks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Preeti, I am over-the-moon excited to be a winner of these strips!!!! Cannot wait to begin to put them to work. Oh, and congratulations on another magazine....and the cover no less. WooHoo for you.
    Aunt Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on your cover quilt! It is so bright and cheerful! I also like your blue RSC blocks. Can't wait to see you creative choice in how you will set them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations Preeti! Your quilt is fabulous, and it deserves the sunglasses ;) Your blue blocks are fabulous too, I love the deconstructed version!
    Thank you for sharing such inspirational post, and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations, Cover Girl! Well deserved! The stars are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. congratulations on your cover quilt,so cheerful looking! Luv the blue block!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's a beautiful quilt design - and a happy one! Congratulations on being published again, too. I love your RSC blocks - they'll be pretty in all the colors and have lots of design options as well!

    ReplyDelete
  30. And what a great cover girl you have made! I love the bright fabrics with the cool gray. Hum, now where can I get that magazine?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your new quilt is truly well-named! I'd call it happy, too! Love the mix of colors and the design...very pretty & a little reminder to BE happy that spring isn't far away now. Thanks for sharing !! Deb E

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on being a cover girl!!! and thanks for linking to Finished ( or not) Friday!! its good to have you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Pretti, I am in love with your blue star blocks!!!!! Such a unique design!!! Going on my to-do list!!!!! And your quilt deserved that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great quilt! Congrats on being a cover girl. Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nihal looks especially lovely with the white strips. We are in a cold snap but you’ve set the stage as a reminder of our hot summers and the need for that tall, cool drink of juice. Ann at Fret Not

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely quilt cover girl! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell linkup, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I adore this quilt. It's going to go on my "need to make this list". Hopefully a PDF of the pattern is available!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Congratulations on the making the cover! That is so cool. The quilt is really fun too, love all the bold and bright colors. You picked a versatile block for this year's RSC challenge. I look forward to seeing how you set all the blocks in the final quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Such a bright and happy quilt! I especially love the picture in front of the stone wall. Lovely contrast :) Big congratulations on being a cover girl! xo

    ReplyDelete