Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Monsoon

"It looks like giant raindrops", said Lesley, when I showed her a picture on my phone. Hence, I named him Monsoon.

Work in progress

Working on improvisational piecing helps me destress. The process is the focus - making small decisions - color, shape, size, and setting - keeps me in the moment. The destination will reveal itself.

The first block

For background, I used a white fabric I purchased several years ago from Mook Fabrics in Pennsylvania when Mari and I went to the Lancaster Quilt Show.

Eye-popping price :-D


Working with scraps from a long time ago, I pieced triangle leftovers with white background. Then "tried" matching those very fiddly points, in the base of the triangles. Similar shapes were easy but pairing a long skinny triangle with a lumpy one was challenging.


Decisions, Decisions


Columns of Diamonds


I celebrated well-matched points and accepted those that misbehaved, giving myself permission to just be. Combining small blocks with bog ones and skinny ones with wide ones, I assembled similar sized units into columns, using coping strips to bring them to size.

The batting is Thermore. The backing is scrappy and pieced. I quilted in one direction with squiggly lines. The binding matches the white background.

Monsoon finished at 47" by 60". Time for pictures!

Thank you, Bob


It was a busy day at Lake Anne and I could not get exclusive time with Bob. 

Thank you, Paul


Thank you, Wooden Horse



Monsoon

If there is a mirror-like surface, let there be a reflection.

Mirror Image

Good Picture, Bad Resolution

Easy Being Green :-)

Let get closer.

Get the Point?



A Pointed Discussion


Tall & Short


Small Points


Labelled


Whatever tiny scraps I did not use, I discarded.  This is new for me. I am certainly past the mid-point of my life and I have begun to carefully examine what I need vs. what I need to lose.

In other news, I resigned from my stressful job.  Paul's unwavering support gave me the courage to cut loose. On my last day, I received this card from a sweet co-worker (she understood my reasons).

Yes, Kristen. We are!


I have joined a Yoga class. It is time to focus on my health and well-being. I am anticipating more quilting, blogging and commenting :-) And of course, more cooking for Paul. All's well in this household.

Two quilts of mine were published in two different magazines. That blogpost is next. 

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for saying goodbye to the stressful job! I love that card your coworker gave you. Monsoon is a beauty! Your points look perfect - not that any of us would really be looking at them. I always enjoy your fun quilt photos, Preeti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Diann's comments. life is too short to deal with a stressful job. Your co worker got it right! That's a person you will miss. The rest. . nope! Onward! Your pointed quilt is super! Having tried improvisational piecing on points I know that is a challenge to get them close to matching! Your points all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your Monsoon (aka raindrops) --lovely improv work, Preeti.
    So happy that you now will be concentrating on "you" ;))) Life is so short -- everything changes before you know it...[I am still resting my hands at least through the up coming weekend...]. Enjoy...
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete