Sunday, September 25, 2016

Bloggers Quilt Festival - Sun City (Scrappy Category)

Sun City is my second entry to the Bloggers Quilt Festival hosted by Amy of Amy's Creative Side.  I have entered Sun City in the in the Scrappy Category.



I made Sun City as my response to my Guild President's Challenge - Log Cabin Revisited. The rules were simple - no  more than 24" square, must use either black or white, and any variation of log cabin was acceptable.




Sun City is composed primarily of log cabin blocks. The strips are cut at 1", and finish at 1/2".  This small quilt was fraught with big challenges, which I have documented in an earlier blogpost - Mini Quilt, Major Challenges




Getting to Sun City was a long journey. There were wrong turns and several forks in the road.
In the end, I love how bright and cheerful it appears.  The densely packed, multi-storeyed houses, with bright windows and black chimneys was worth the long, arduous path.




How do you choose what category fits best?  Sun City is small, scrappy, art (since it is a wall quilt), modern (may be), and was quilted on a domestic machine.




I was struggling when I decided to look at the quilts in various categories. 
Those that are art quilts are way more artistic.  Sun City is not.
Those that are in the modern category do not suggest that they are modern - they scream it.   Sun city does not.
Those that are in the domestic machine quilted have exquisite quilting.  Sun City is quilted simply.

Small or Scrappy.

In the end, I chose to go with Scrappy since every fabric came from my stash and did not even make the tiniest dent in my stash. 




I quilted it from the back to follow the slanted lines of the backing. This was also my first time using faced binding.
All entires to the President's Challenge received a small gift.  There were no winners.




Honestly, I was bummed.  I was competing. I was really stretching myself and then to receive a participation gift was an anti-climax.  This time, I am just participating in the Bloggers festival.  No expectations.




However, if you vote for SUN City, I will be over the MOON.

Please take a look at all of the quilts and be wowed and inspired.  After all, that is the purpose of this festival.

29 comments:

  1. This quilt is awesome, I'm going to go and read all about it now!! I'm in awe of it!!! Wonderful ! You really can be proud of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a winner in my mind. Well done Preeti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job Preeti! It is a winner to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading your earlier post about this quilt and was in awe back then. Today when I saw it again, I had completely forgotten that it was made of log cabins! After I realized that all over again, it was fun to look closely to see the different log cabins you used. I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love this quilt. It reminds me of a city in some place far away! I love your use of scrappy colors in this one and I think you should win first prize.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see this again Preeti! I still ahven't made my own house quilt with schoolhouse blocks but I plan to! Love the warm colours of yours; reminds me of Tuscany photos, or Newfoundland (now there's two opposite ends of the spectrum!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great entry for the Bloggers Quilt Festival. I love that is made from log cabins. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a small wonder. Amazing how you did such detailed work and have it look like a sunny day on the coast of Italy. I don't even really see log cabin, it's transformed. This should be in the original category.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deceptively simple but clever and beautiful - I really love this! It's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your fabric choices were inspired. It makes me think of all those pictures of houses spread on the hills of the Mediterranean.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much fun seeing this quilt again. I forgot how small and impressive it is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute! And clever too. I love what you've done for the challenge. You're getting my vote right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your quilt - it reminds me a some far off place where homes are on a hill covered with grass and near an ocean. It's is definitely a new take on the Log Cabin Block! You made me smile! It's so happy, how can one not smile when they see it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous !!! I voted, not just because you asked, but because I do find it absolutely the most pretty one !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, yeah! this is a beautiful quilt and Preeti is an incredibly talented quilter and creator of beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a clever use of the log cabin, nice work and you have my vote! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. very cool quilt. Congratulations on the contest. I've got one in that category too, but I like your way better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. it shows how effective it is that I had to do a double take to actually find the log cabins! It looks wonderful and you have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  19. good on you for persevering and finishing up with a gorgeous mini, good luck in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful quilt, Preeti. I've been busy visiting some of the blogs from the festival and, goodness, I will not get to them all! Good luck in the festival, though it seems, like me, you don't need to win more fabrics. Knowing that others appreciate your work does feel good, doesn't it? Not that it means so much, but I love your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great quilt, Preeti. I think this is a very inventive way to make and use log cabin blocks. It's too bad you didn't win in your guild, especially because you were feeling competitive and pushed yourself.
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a fantastic design. I love the houses and the play on the name 'sun city' with quilting that looks like rain. It's really clever.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Do you have a pattern for this Quilt Sun City

    ReplyDelete