Thursday, August 4, 2016

OMG, I am going to California

Do you remember Elle?  This is the quilt I made for her.

To Greener Pastures

Last year she left Washington DC for California, to be closer to her family.  One year later, I am going to visit her.  She has a new (for her) house with a guest bedroom, with a lovely green quilt on the bed. And I cannot wait to see her as well as the quilt in use. I believe that the best thing for a quilter is to see their hand made quilts being used.  Don't you agree?


I am leaving tomorrow and I made small gifts for her and her two granddaughters.

For Elle

Elle - Since her favorite color is green, I chose to make her two zippered pouches using this lovely fabric.  A flat pouch for her Kindle or iPad (blue zipper) and a 3-D pouch (pink zipper) for her toiletries.

Green Pouches

I chose to make pillowcases for the granddaughters.  As I was picking out fabrics, I remembered growing up with my sister. We are two years apart and there were so many times we would fight.

Mushroom Houses

"How is that she has the blue necklace, while mine is beige?"
Note to parents - No kid ever liked beige.

That is when I decided that the two pillowcases will be identical. Because when things are identical, there are fewer chances to fight over them.

Two Pillowcases

Did I not tell you that Elle has a grand baby on the way?  How about some receiving blankets and burp cloths? How do you feel about this flannel print?  I think it is cute and gender-neutral.

Cuteness!!!

When I return on Monday, I will be ready to attack my to-do list for August.  Here we go:

1. Finish quilting/binding Scrappy Blues quilt

Got the Blues

2. Commission Memory Quilt from Baby Clothes - The top is ready to be quilted and must be completed before August 20.  I cannot show it to you, but here is tiny glimpse of the backing fabric.

Backing for Memory Quilt

There is one more quilt - blocks in the construction mode but cannot share it unless it is finished.  Also working on a new pattern/tutorial.

Yes, there are several irons in the fire, as usual.  And you?

Linking with One Monthly Goal.

24 comments:

  1. Safe travels! Enjoy your time with your friend. Your pouches and pillow cases are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful projects, travel safe and have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great visit with your friend.She's sure to love all the wonderful gifts you are bringing. When I was a kid the things I received where always blue and my sisters where always pink. It drove me a bit nuts but now blue is my favourite colour...but I doubt that anybodies favourite colour is beige. Good luck with your August goals. I'm really stalling on all sewing right now. I think its the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great trip. I am sure they will love their pouches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pillowcases are a great present - storing that one away in the back of my head - enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a fantastic weekend! California sounds just about perfect right now lol! Thank you for linking up and Good Luck with your goal, I really like the Scrappy Blues quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you enjoy your trip! Mounds like there will be plenty of visiting going on! MElle is just going to love her little gifties. You thought of everything! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the intrepid traveller this year woman! To the other side of the globe and now to the other side of the continent! Typically sweet and thoughtful of you to make all these handmade gifts and YES! That is the best thank you, seeing something we've made being USED and loved. My mum always gave me green stuff but I wanted blue. She HATES blue and we all know it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your trip -- they're going to love those goodies! And yes, it's so nice to see quilts being used!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a safe trip and a sweet visit with your friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the fabrics all!!!!!!!!!! Have a blast. Can't wait to see some pics..There will be squeals of delight for your arrival and your adorable gifts:)) GB

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a fabulous time enjoy your friend an do lots of fun things. Be safe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a lovely visit. Great choice of fabrics for all the gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful gifts for your friends - and yes, identical is the safest way to avoid fights! The flannel print is adorable, and you have an impressive list of things to do, but I have no doubt you will get it all done! Whoop whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy your trip. The pouches are great. And yes, identical gifts are best to avoid fighting. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're going to CA! What part? I hope you love it. And "no kid ever liked beige" - so true. Your work is lovely Preeti!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you enjoyed your trip. There is nothing like getting to see long distance friends and your quilts in the wild. Those are some beautiful and thoughtful gifts you are taking along with you. I'm sure they will be well loved. Can't wait to hear about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay for traveling and visiting with dear friends! What part of CA are you going to? Anywhere near Sacramento??? I am an hour away from Sac. How long are you staying?

    What special gifts you are bringing. I am sure they will be received with love. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have lots to do but finishing the Scrappy Blues Quilt is a must! Thanks for joining up with us at #scraptasictueday

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's true that seeing people use things you've made for them is the best! how fun for you Preeti to get to visit and sleep under the quilt you made for Elle. The pouches you made are so great! And it is very smart to make the girls the same pillowcases. the froggy flannel is very cute.
    Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your 'scrappy blues' quilt looks great! Enjoy your trip away.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How lucky that you are getting to visit a friend in California! And what a lucky friend that you are bringing such precious gifts! The girls will love the pillowcases and she will be surprised with the the pretty bags. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have a wonderful trip and a special time. Your gifts are all adorable. I'm sure they will all love them. I bet you'll have some fun stories and wonderful insights when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great gifts! Your projects and thought behind them is so interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete