Monday, August 12, 2019

Sacred and Abhorrent

Last month I volunteered at the Sacred Threads Quilt Show.
There were two separate exhibits.  The first smaller exhibit was titled - OURstory Quilts - Human Rights Stories in Fabric.

I am sharing a small sample of the quilts from each. The picture of the quilt is followed by the maker's description.









Anne Smyers is in my quilt guild.  I remember when she was working on this quilt and mentioned that the base fabric was just two colors.  That is such an inaccurate representation of us because we are not just black and white. So she dyed the individual faces to create all the complexions. It is like the International Sisters are dancing in the Garden of Humanity.






I do still believe that most people are good at heart.  Only if we listened to our hearts...and not the hate.



If we know now that 1957 was a huge mistake then how can we sit quietly as the current prejudices are perpetrated?


Forgive the poor quality of the pictures. It is difficult to see properly through tears or hold the camera steady while sobbing.

The main exhibit had 240 quilts is six categories - Joy, Grief, Inspiration, Healing, Spirituality, and Peace & Brotherhood.  In addition there was the Eye Contact exhibit. I took several pictures but the link shows a video of the exhibit.

Here is a small sample of quilts from the main exhibit.





Just like Ann Bertorelli, I am horrified by those who perpetrate such torture on innocent children. How is this not a human rights violation? 



This quilter was also inspired by the movie Coco.  Such a fun quilt and so very different from my simple interpretation in Poco Loco.

























This must have been such a difficult quilt to make. One does not just remember the abuse one relives it. I find it remarkable also because Arlene Wagner chose to display it not under GRIEF but under HEALING.







Of all the quilts I saw that day this one haunts me the most.

Between the time I saw this quilt and the time I could share these pictures with you, there were mass shootings in El Paso, in Gilroy and in Dayton and we need to make more hearts.

How can we make hearts when our hearts are breaking?

I know how I feel. I feel extremely saddened. I feel angry and I feel violated.
I don't know how to process it all. I don't know how to put it to use.

Paul: You can donate to the cause
Me: Already done
Paul: You can make a quilt
Me: I am thinking about it
Paul: Don't you have to sketch it?
Me: Yes, I will
Paul: You can send it to Sacred Threads next year
Me: I looked up. I stared at Paul.

Yes. Yes, I will.  I need to make a quilt to honor the victims and make sure they are not forgotten.
I will send it to Sacred Threads exhibit.


Quilts have to be made and delivered and there are works in progress.
work in progress

And I will get back to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks.
Blues for RSC 2019 - August

For now, I am tidying up my fabric room. I hope that as I sort fabric and arrange them by color, I'd be able to sort my thoughts too.
I will be sharing with all my favorite linky parties. See full list on the sidebar.
I'd feel so strengthened to hear from you.


33 comments:

  1. Meeting Vikki Pignatelli years ago I was impressed by her faith and spirituality so starting Sacred Threads was an obvious extension for her. But I've never been to the exhibit. Thanks for sharing the depth of work displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these quilts. I want to say more, but my brain is still processing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful. Heartbreaking. Inspiring. Just a few of the feelings I'm left with after seeing these quilts and reading their stories. Mostly I'm angry. Like Katie...I'm still processing what I just saw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing exhibit of powerful quilts -- thank you for sharing them and the experience with us. When I am distressed, I find that folding fabric (or laundry) and tidying the studio (or cleaning house) helps me sort through the emotions. But these awful events are coming closer and closer together and I fear we are all suffering the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing. Very moving; I don't have words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was difficult to see but I appreciate you sharing with all of us. We have to see what's going on, how people are coping and hopefully, do our part to stop and change this hateful behavior in our country right now. Every little act of kindness counts. This is hard to process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No words. I can't even try. But I'm in awe of the power of art to convey the powerful emotions that words cannot contain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhhh. the pain, the hurt but also some joy. Maybe next year I'll be able to go...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for taking so much time and making the effort to document the exhibition. There are some truely emotional and terrific works in here! xo Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. So powerful. But most of all, thanks to you for having the courage to post these works of art & stories, and not be a silent bystander to all this bullying. Hugs from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm speechless. Each one of them is from the heart of a quilter. Thank you for posting the pictures. They are all so poignant, powerful and raw in what they convey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing the quilts and their explanations. My tears just keep flowing. Lady Liberty must indeed be very sad and ashamed for the abuse, hatred and inequality having been exhibited by our fellow Americans and American leaders. Pray we do better in the very near future - if there is to be a future America where all its inhabitants are respected and free.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quite a humbling exhibit, Preeti.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing this. I have always wanted to see this exhibit, but this year's would have brought me to tears I think. I, feel like you. Not sure that I know what I need to do but I need to do! Too much senseless death, hurt and hate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing; I would not have known about this and I am so grateful to be able to view it through your eyes, Preeti. I am overwhelmed by the talent and heartfelt stitching these artists portray.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this exhibit with me. I have no words either - I feel sad and angry and helpless. I can just hope that compassion and love will overpower hate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so very much for sharing this. The quilts evoke strong emotions, and sometimes it is difficult to fully verbalize those feelings. I will keep them in my mind and heart until I can speak those feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a beautiful post Preeti. Thanks for sharing. Writing through tears.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing. The quilts have left me with my thoughts going around and around.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an exhibition of heart wrenching quilts! Thanks for sharing them, and their stories. The post leaves me feeling a bit shell shocked- I can only imagine how it left you. May all our Gods bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you, Preeti. Like so many others I'm almost without words, but we're not speechless really. Some words stand for all of us: heart wrenching; senseless death, hurt and hate; sad and ashamed for the abuse; hatred and inequality; Powerful. Heartbreaking. Inspiring.; do our part to stop; strong emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Preeti, of course you must make a quilt! I'm sure it will be stunning and heartwarming. Can't wait to see it! Other projects will wait. Your voice is important!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing these quilts. They are amazing, heart breaking, vivid, and in some cases hopeful. In each case, they made me think and feel. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing pictures and stories of these quilts. We quilt so our hearts and minds won’t go numb...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very powerful and beautiful quilts. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So many emotions while reading your blog. Thanks for sharing all these beautiful quilts. So powerful!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing this wonderful exhibit! I did not know about it! When I started quilting in 1999, I had no idea how the quilting community would change my life. It helps to see that others share my feelings about the world today!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I feel like that would have been such a powerful exhibit to see - and to understand how people can put their feelings into quilts! the first one - she skinned her knee, and her blood was the same color as mine - WOW - so important even again today.... thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am from El Paso. Your post deeply touched me. At this time my emotions are running high, so I had to stop reading, but I've printed it out to savor it and to make it part of my healing process. Your post will be shared with others in my life. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, Preeti. I was compelled to check out your blog after not reading it for a lng time. What a powerful message you share. The quilts each represent so much work to express emotions and grief, and healing. Thank you for your blog post. Each quilt is different and beautiful. So important.

    Your own quilt will be difficult, but so healing. I look forward to seeing it. We are vessels for our Great Creator's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for sharing these powerful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are a powerful storyteller. I know people say it to you a lot on here. It's quite a gift you have to always reach the heart. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. When I was in college in my 20's there was a traveling exhibit of shirts that was similar to this. I had no idea what I was walking into at that time. The shirts in that exhibit were the stories of victims of abuse. They were seriated by category of I remember correctly. Some were survivors of rape. Others battery. Others documented crimes against children. Some did not survive and those shirts were created by those left behind. Man, even today I remember. I would have loved to see your quilt show in person. But I also would want to be prepared for the emotional impact.

    Again, thank you. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete