Friday, May 8, 2020

A Warm Tribute

The Quilted Legacy Blog Hop is an effort to honor the legacy of Paula Budinger, who passed away earlier this year.  Paula blogged at http://paulabquilts.blogspot.com and later at https://paulabquilts.com. Many of us knew her through her blog and quilts. Paula loved colorful, scrappy quilts, and made kid quilts for Project Linus. Paula also studied quilt history, learned dating old quilts, and collected antique and doll quilts. 





To celebrate Paula's life and her love of quilting, some quilter-bloggers decided on a blog hop where each one of us shares a quilt we make for a charity or a cause close to our hearts. The quilts we share are as varied as each one of us. Hope you will take a few minutes to learn about Paula and visit other blogs to see the quilts made in her honor.


Paula Budinger

No blog hop can be complete without a giveaway. So let me get those rules out of the way.
Every comment (on any blogpost in the blog hop) is an entry to win one of the great prizes!  Yes, you can comment on multiple blogs. Janice will aggregate the comments and select the winners with a random number generator. The giveaway ends on May 15, 2020.


Here are the prizes: 




And this the quilt I made.

The Finish

The story follows:

The year was 2005. I was working in Fort Lauderdale as a junior planner, where Steve was a Senior Surveyor. We connected over our love of Indian food.  One day, I brought to work home-made green shrimp curry and uncooked rice. About 11:00 AM, I switched on the rice cooker. I still remember that lunch :-) Steve enjoyed the meal and I was happy to share it with him.

When the company lost the contract, I was let go.  In a few weeks I found another job but I had to move from Florida to Maryland.  When Steve found out, he came to my apartment with 20 packing boxes. Just like that. I did not ask. I wasn't even sure if I needed them, but he knew better.

I used them all.  More than once in my life, I have received exactly what I needed when I needed it.
The universe knows it all.

The concept

On the day I had to fly from Fort Lauderdale to Baltimore, Steve offered to drive me to the airport. I was carrying three large suitcases, while the rest of my stuff was on a truck headed north. When we arrived at the airport, Steve helped me with the luggage.  And then as I fumbled with my shoulder bag to check my ticket/boarding pass, an airport worker/porter materialized.


Fabrics 

I have a feeling Steve motioned to him. What happened next happened so quickly that I am still unsure of it. Steve tipped the guy a $20 bill (I think), which he pocketed, nodded to Steve and effortlessly moved my heavy suitcases to a cart.  I looked aghast at Steve and then at the porter and at Steve again. Steve smiled, wished me a safe trip, waved and left.

On the Design Wall

We did not see each other again but have stayed in touch through Christmas/Holiday cards.
We speak over the phone every couple of years or so.

Steve has a son, Eric, who is about my age. Eric is a fire-fighter, is happily married (to Amy) and rescues and fosters dogs.



81st Block - Puppies


Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and related anxiety, I felt the need to reach out to Steve.  We chatted for over 35 minutes, talking about work, family and the uncertain times. When Steve mentioned that Eric was diagnosed with cancer and was undergoing treatment, I knew I had to make a quilt.

Completed Flimsy

Twenty strips 6" by WOF in fall colors was the starting point.  Combined with solid jelly roll strips, I would get 80 blocks, 7" by 9" (finished size). I needed 81.  My solution for the 81st block was a puppy fabric - a nod to Eric's love of dogs.


Quilted

I used wool batting, faded chambray wide backing (from Connecting Threads) and orange binding.
Quilted sparingly to maintain softness and loft, using my walking foot.


70" by 90"


Labelled

I had a few fabric scraps left over. Added a few matching batik fabrics and made two zippered pouches.  One for Steve's wife Jeri and one for Amy.  



Scraps - Repurposed


The quilt is in the mail and USPS tells me that it will reach its destination today.
I am not going to ask but if Steve sends me pictures, I will update this post.



A Warm Tribute


This quilt was already in the works when Janice was setting up the blog hop.  The timing of the quilt just magically coincided with the blog hop. And here I am - once again - marveling at the miracles of the universe.  I will be sharing with all my favorite linky parties. See full list on the sidebar.



Update - May 22, 2020

The quilt reached its destination and Steve sent me this picture.

Eric's Quilt


A few days later I received two cards - one from Eric and Amy and one from Jeri and Steve.




My heart is warm but my cheeks feel wet. Stay safe my friends.







73 comments:

  1. I didn't plan on beginning my day with tears, but here I sit. What a beautiful way to honor Paula, as well as your friendship with Steve, while wrapping Eric in quilted blessings. You are a gem and that quilt is pretty great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fall colors for very special, lovely gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, Preeti. I love this quilt and the story behind it. You have such a generous heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you captured the magic of quilts and fabric. Without a story, it is just pieces. The human connection gives it a life of its own. Thank you for the story and I cannot imagine how thrilled Eric will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers and good thoughts. The dog fabric is perfect. sarahsgiftnship(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story and a perfect quilt for Eric. It is so special that you could reconnect with Steve and share your love with his family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice and "warm"! And your story makes it so meaningful too. I followed Paula occasionally and enjoyed her blog. So this is a double tribute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt Preeti. So sweet that you are able to gift it to Eric. I'll send good thoughts his way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh love autumn colors and this is a beauty...no doubt will be a comfort to your friend...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful fall colors and a beautiful story! Paula would be proud that this quilt was donated in her honor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful story, Preeti. Your quilt is in comforting colors and will be a comfort to Steve, Eric, and their family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful story! Yes, the universe does seem to just “know”! If we just pause and listen. Fall colors are favorites of mine! I made a similarly colored one for my sister during her cancer journey. Seeing your for Eric made my eyes tear up, thanks for your giving heart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous quilt, I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful story. Love when the universe moves!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Preeti, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Life throws so many curveballs doesn't it? Your quilt is so cozy - it exudes comfort to me. I think it is the color scheme. You are a wonderful friend to make this and the little zip pouches. They will be loved and used for sure. Paula would be honored to know of this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Preeti, what a touching story. So many people enter our lives, each for a reason. Your quilt is lovely and is going to a lovely man. A lovely tribute to Paula and to Steve. I’m so happy you joined in the hop, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your quilt Preeti - it's so full of my favorite fall colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great quilt and what a great way to honor a good friend who was there for you. I am sure Paula would approve.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the colors in this quilt. A great way to honor Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a thoughtful gift, Preeti! Your friend is sure to appreciate your kindness. Your quilt is SEW beautiful and those zip pouches will be quilt useful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful story. Your quilts are extensions of your love for others including Paula, Steve and Eric. Great use of color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great colors for a guy! I’m sure that your thoughtful gift will be well loved by Eric and will bring him comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a heartwarming story. There are so many good people in this world, you among them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a wonderful story and I'm sure this quilt will be well-loved.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what a story! Sorry to hear about Steve's son. Sending prayers for him. I love the warm colors of your quilt and I'm sure he will too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a heartwarming commentary on a special quilt. I like this quilt very much- it works marvellously for masculine recipients! I have not used wool batting yet, but it is on my list to try for a future quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful quilt and wonderful way to honor Paula and your friend.
    Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. beautiful quilt in Paula's honor. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for sharing the story to go with your quilt. I hope it arrives safely today and brings the love and comfort you poured into it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful story, Preeti. Your quilt will be loved and appreciated, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Two things I thought when I saw your photo before I read your post: Warm and spicy, and cozy fall colors. Well, yes!! Another beautiful story, Preeti. I do hope your friend and his family will be okay. Treatment for cancer in this time adds an extra layer of anxiety, so the comfort of your quilt will be doubly appreciated, I'm sure. Paula is likely smiling at how you are honoring her legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your stories are always so wonderful. I know it is said that every quilt tells a story, but not everyone can tell it like you!! That's a great quilt and a lovely gesture to give to a friend who stepped in for you... way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You really are the best story teller. Truly beautiful quilt and equally beautiful story. It takes a very insightful person to realize the universe is speaking to you and caring for you. Wool batting is so luscious to quilt! Gorgeous finish.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a beautiful and thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Preeti, my friend. You sure know how to bring a tear to a girl's eye. Fast blinking keeps them from falling along with thinking happy thoughts. How fitting a tale/tail to tell during a remembrance post for Paula. I am sorry to say I didn't know her or her blog but I am 100% certain I would have liked her. I am also certain she is giving you the nod for this beautiful quilt for Eric and in a way, Steve. I'll hold Eric in my prayers for a full recovery. This hop is a true pleasurable experience and I know her giving legacy lives on in many ways and people. {{Hugs}} Stay safe. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  36. And yet another astounding story, Preeti! What goes around, comes around, my friend, and this is a telling example of such karma. You’re the best! My thoughts today are all for Eric's recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gosh Preeti your story gave me goosebumps then made me cry. The quilt is lovely with those colors with that very effective layout and maybe a little fussy cut or two? Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow - this is so touching! I love reading the stories behind your quilts. So different from the story behind a lot of my quilts, which usually starts with, "well, xyz bin was overflowing"...

    ReplyDelete
  39. Gorgeous quilt for Eric. LOVE the dog fabric in it as well. Lovely tribute to Paula B.

    ReplyDelete
  40. That's such a beautiful quilt, Preeti! The warm colors are sure to be a comfort to your friend and his family. You are a master at using simple blocks to make great designs!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I so love your stories as to how quilts come about!! and I love how you are so aware of the things around you!! This is a great quilt and will provide LOTS of COmfort!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a wonderful warm quilty hug. I hope it helps Eric during his treatment and that he recovers quickly. What a scary time, with the virus on top of it. How nice of you to include something for others in with the quilt, too. Stay safe and sane, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  43. My goodness the universe is in sync with you Preeti. That is a beautiful quilt, love the colours and the stories that go with it. It will bring much joy to your friends. The zippy purses are very cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love this beautiful story of friendship. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a wonderful gift for Eric! Beautiful colors and fabrics and the middle block with dogs is just perfect for him. Knowing how much love goes into every stitch, Eric will be wrapped in warmth and comfort! Love your story of meeting Steve and keeping up with him over the years. Good friends and blessings happen for reasons...you are blessed!
    duchick at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  46. As always, you come up with a wonderful quilt and a beautiful story to match. I'm sure both Eric and Steve will be touched by your gift. And a fitting way to honor another quilter who was a giver.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love your quilt. I know it will be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love your quilt story. Such kindness, all in a circle. Love that a quilt is part of that love!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I have no doubt that Eric and his wife and Steve will appreciate that quilt. We are all put in certain places at certain times for unknown reasons. What a tribute to all of you. Blessings and a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Such a lovely warm hug you have made for Steve's Eric! The universe is indeed a wonderful thing, even if we have no idea how it works. You obviously reached out just when Steve needed a friend, in the same way he reached out to you so many years ago. Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Lovely quilt and a lovely, heartwarming story of friendship. I'm sure Steve and Eric will be very touched by the gift of your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi Preeti, I LOVE your writing. I always look forward to reading your posts for the stories as much as for the quilting! Even without the great stories, though your quilts are always just wonderful. Thanks so much for agreeing to take part in Paula's memorial blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Such a heart-warming story and what the true meaning of friendship should be. I'm sorry for the circumstances regarding the need for this quilt but I know it will be well loved. Thank you for such a wonderful tribute to Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love that you were able to add the dog patch to Eric's quilt. Making a quilt for someone who needs a hug is a fitting tribute to Paula. It is wonderful how things happen just when we or someone we care about needs them. Reaching out to Steve created a quilt that was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  55. What a sweet story that was. It's a beautiful quilt with a lovely fall feeling to it. I would say that God has moved in your life time and again to help you accomplish all that you have. How wonderful to be able to give back some. I will say a little prayer for Eric's treatments to be effective. I know this quilt will be something for him to hold on to when he isn't feeling great. Especially with the puppy block. =)

    ReplyDelete
  56. I love the richness and warmth of this quilt, Preeti! It is the very definition of a comfort quilt. I’m sure your generosity will be appreciated by Eric, Steve and the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  57. When your quilt arrives, I sure it will seem to them to have shown up at just the right moment. Quilts are love made tangible

    ReplyDelete
  58. I am sure your lovely quilt will give lots of love and quilty hugs! And the fun dog print you put in will hopefully make him smile even when times are hard. xo Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  59. Quite the story teller and quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Your quilt is gorgeous. The back story is beautiful. How blessed to have such a meaningful friendship. Not just for you, but Steve also. And how sweet of you to make the quilt for Eric. Im sure he will find comfort in it. God has a way of making those things work out.

    ReplyDelete
  61. A lovely tribute.
    And a very special quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Great colors, great scrappiness, such a warm feel!

    ReplyDelete
  63. You are a wonderful storyteller (and quiltmaker!) Thanks for sharing the story with us. The quilt really is wonderful. Hopefully it will bring comfort to trying times. I love the dog block in the middle. Stay safe and keep on quilting...I love to see what you come up with each week.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Beautiful quilt. I love reading your stories. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  65. Preeti, what a wonderful quilt for your dear friend's son. You've personalized it with the dog block, too. I hope it brings him comfort during his treatment and will pray for his recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Such a beautiful story and a beautiful quilt. Your blog post is a joy to read as always.

    ReplyDelete
  67. A beautiful way to give tribute to the wonderful friendship you have with Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I love the fall colors in this quilt. You have also given me a good idea on how to use this package of rectangles that have been in my draw for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Great quilt. So sorry about Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  70. I love the story of this quilt and I'm so sorry for your friend Steve's son, Eric, who is battling cancer. May your quilt bring him joy and wellness.

    ReplyDelete
  71. What amazing timing, at so many points in this story but especially for this quilt. Many thoughts to Steve and son Eric.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Wonderful story and an uplifting post. Kind Preeti, it is the universe giving you back your own acts of kindness and caring.

    ReplyDelete