Saturday, March 16, 2024

Ambassador's Choice

In the land of Island Batik, March is Ambassador's Choice Month.  Mine is Lula May. 


EQ8 Design


Lula May

Designed in EQ8, and made with Island Batik's Celebrate Collection, Lula May finished at 62" by 82".

Love this collection!!!


I wanted to step away from square blocks. I designed a rectangular block measuring 12" by 16". The triangle in a square made the basis for the elongated star. The strip pieced alternate block combines the colors used in the stars, using the leftovers and tying the pattern together. 


Design Wall


Alternate Blocks


I used Aurifil Thread to piece (50 wt) and quilt (40 wt). The batting is Premium 80/20 Black Cotton/Poly Blend. I used a Microtex Schmetz 80/12 Needle for both piecing and quilting. Microtex needles are "sharp" needles which is an absolute must if you want the needle to pierce the tightly woven Batik fabric. 



Quilting in process



I used my favorite squiggle stitch with my walking foot to quilt Lula May. I added a skinny border to make sure that my binding did not eat up my star points. I chose a yellow binding for maximum contrast with the black background. 


My favorite - Model and Picture :-)

Paul - This looks like a Gay Jewish quilt.
Me: It kinda does.
Paul: Intentional?
Me: Nah, just happened.
Paul: I like it.
Me: Yup, she has pizzaz!


She walks in beauty...


Lula May was claimed by Ted, a former co-worker turned friend. 

____________________________________________________________________


The Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for March is purple and I have gathered my geraniums, lilacs, irises and violets. All fabrics are Island Batik scraps. It is good to be an ambassador :-)

March = Purple

 
Looks like Mother Nature got the memo too.  I plucked these tiny blooms on my morning walk.

Grape Hyacinths


I am busy making my purple blocks. These yellow hexies will become the centers of the purple flowers. 

Flower Centers

I will be sharing with all my favorite linky parties, including Angela's. See full list on the sidebar. As always I'd love to hear from you!

19 comments:

  1. A beautiful new design! Great job! I always love bright colors used with a dark background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotta here - Lula May is a lovely quilt. And such an interesting design. I don’t use EQ, but it never would have occurred to me to make an elongated star. I just would not have thought it would look right. But yours looks great. Goes to show there’s nothing to be lost by trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lulu May is a riot of colour and fun! Such a fabulous pattern. I'm not at all surprised she has been claimed so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another beautiful quilt! I love the way most of your quilts are full of joy. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul is SEW funny (and a great quilt model, too!!) Congrats on your latest quilt finish, Preeti!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, she has pizzaz! Such a striking quilt - so glad to hear it has a new home, already! Oh and the yellow binding is perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lula May definitely has pizzaz, Preeti!! Very cheerful. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful pattern to enlight this lovely fabric collection! I love these stars and stripes! The scenery is perfect too ;)
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful different approach for a block,it's always good to mix things up & make them our own

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your conversations with Paul. He’s a great partner. Ann at FretNot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lula May turned out beautifully. Loved your conversation with Paul on that project. Purple and yellow is such a bold color choice. Looking forward to seeing your hexie flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lula May is beautiful - I always love the brights you use and the black background is perfect. Glad it found a lovely home with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely quilt! So bright and cheerful. Yay you going all rectangular! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/20/wednesday-wait-loss-372

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Preeti, what a great, cheerful quilt! Lula May is a vibrant gal :-) Thanks so much for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. Looking forward to seeing your purple flowers with the yellow hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blog is a reliable companion in my continuous learning journey.

    ReplyDelete