Friday, September 27, 2024

Good Tidings & Austin

I have two new quilts to share.

Austin was published in Make Modern #60.

Good Tidings was published in Annie's Christmas Pattern Book.

Good Tidings


Both quilts were made using Island Batik Fabrics collection Peppermint Sprinkles. 



Peppermint Sprinkles is a beautiful collection - perfect for Holiday sewing. I love that it has elements of the season such as reindeer and snowflakes but it isn't so Christmassy that the quilt/decor becomes outdated by January 1.  It has year round appeal.

That was my thought process as I designed Good Tidings in EQ8.  A fellow quilter/blogger once said that "Artwork means that art is the result of work". Those who cannot see the process, may think that art/design just comes to us magically :-) 

That is why I often document my progress, showing the steps and the rejects that led to the final design. For Good Tidings, I wanted to capture the cold snowy season (blues) which carries with it the promise of warmth (red). 

First Attempt

My design was well-received but came with a request. 

"Is there something other than red you could use – silvery blue? We’d like to see this with more of a winter feel."

Changing colors/fabrics in EQ8 is easy. 

Revision #1 - All Blue

It was certainly wintry. It lacked the warmth. So I tried two more options.

Revision #2 - A touch of red

Revision #3 - Warm-hearted

Oh yes. This was it. Not only the design was approved, it perfectly conveyed the holiday theme. Come home to the warmth of the season. 

I am so happy!


White Borders, Aqua Binding


Swirling & Whirling

I remember felling dizzy after that photoshoot. Time to lie down for a nap.

Oh yes!


Why yes, I sparkle!


Crushing on you!

And one last picture...

Thank you, Paul



The Peppermint Sprinkles collection is also an ideal choice for Quilts of Valor, which brings me to Austin.

Austin

I wanted a modern take on the Quilt of Valor theme. Using turquoise instead of traditional blue was one way of achieving that objective. A longitudinal design, instead of the usual square blocks, helped get me there. Long borders (only on the sides) and vertical quilting lines emphasize the design. 


Walking Foot Quilting


Quilting with Variegated Thread


Labelled


Love you!


Many thanks to Island Batik, who provided the fabrics for both quilts. Hobbs provided the batting. Paul, the model/photographer, was well-compensated for his efforts. I will be sharing with all my favorite linky parties. See full list on the sidebar. As always, I welcome your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Both are really pretty, but Good Tidings is fabulous. I love that you shared the various color combos you experimented with. Every single one of them was pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! That peppermint fabric is so fun. I would have never thought outside of Christmas for it! It’s a great QOV line!

    ReplyDelete