Friday, February 28, 2020

My First Quiltcon

I was going to write a short description with a few pictures from Quiltcon. Or so I thought.
But Quiltcon exceeded all my expectations and it therefore deserves a full post of its own.

Sunday at Quiltcon

I dropped off the completed flimsies at the collection point next to registration.  The blocks were overflowing from the table, when I handed her my contribution.
Woman 1 - How are they going to take everything back?
Woman 2 - It is a good problem to have.

I silently wished there wasn't a need for these blocks/quilts.


Let the eye candy begin.  I have included the artist's description following each quilt.

Deportation by Jackie Benedetti

Detail





This is Bob. Bob won the Viewers Choice Award, which confirms my belief that at heart we are all kids :-)
Bob by Patti Coppock




Sedona Sunrise by Erin Andrews





Unfinished by Kathy York

Detail




New Mexico Crosses by Terrie H Mangat

Detail




Tuberose by Anneliese Johnson







Mell and I have very different styles. She is most definitely a modern quilter. My style is more traditional - Traditional Modernism at best. But there were a few quilts that we both agreed upon. The next quilt with improv triangles and color wash effect is one of them.


Triangle Color Study III by Nicholas Ball

Detail





 The following quilt won a ribbon. I can see why.
Like a Girl by Niagara Modern Quilt Guils


Detail





Homes for the Homeless - Community First Village by Kelly Hogan



There was a section devoted to Youth Quilts.  Here are my favorites from that.

No explanation required

Made me cry





Twist by Maria Shell






 And here is Jayne's quilt. Sold!!!
Making Waves by Jayne Willis





Damned by Skye Rayburn





Usually I would be hard pressed to pick one favorite in a quilt show that had so many spectacular beauties. Also it is hard to imagine that I would pick a quilt that had no color.  But this is that quilt.  It made me so happy, I have been going around and showing it to complete muggles and reliving the experience of reading it the very first time. I love this one!!! Kudos to you Tulsa Modern Quilt Guild.

For best experience, read aloud from left to right, one line at a time.





As far as techniques go, this is the one that I want to learn.  I had the opportunity to meet the designer Audrey Esarey. She won two ribbons but this is not one of them.  You can see her winning quilts on the MQG website.

Retro Radial by Audrey Esarey






I was not familiar with Lizzo's music or this song, but I fixed that as soon as I returned.  And I can totally relate to this quilt - music or not.

I Heart Lizzo by Alison chambers








Can you Get Inside by Isabel Munoz






Resonance by Cassandra Beaver





Nothing I Desire by Patti Coppock







Typographic Abstraction by Jessica Wheelahan






I was happy (but not surprised) to see Cindy's quilt. She is in my guild.
Kaleidoscope by Cindy Grisdela





This was a spectacular beauty that left both Mell and me awestruck!!! And yet not a ribbon in sight. Hmmm...

Zenith by Cassandra Beaver








We ended the day supremely exhausted but insanely happy.



People of Quiltcon

I met Alison Glass and showed off my finisher's pin from the Trinket QAL. She was kind enough to pose for a selfie.

With Alison Glass



I met Vasudha of Storied Quilts and talked about future quilty ideas. I invited her to DC and she offered to host me for the Quilt Market.

With Vasudha

Mell and I were admiring a quilt and trying to figure out the piecing.
Mell - It is partial seams
Me - Yes, but it is not partial seams in a block. It is the whole quilt. She had to sew one huge jagged edge of fabric to the next huge jagged edge of fabric.
That is when Victoria Findlay Wolfe surprised us, came from behind and said - Totally crazy, isn't it.
We chatted for a bit and I called her a glutton for punishment. She wholehearted agreed and then I took this picture of her.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe


I met Anja but forgot to take picture.

The best part of the day was when a kind looking woman approached me and asked me if I was Preeti of Sew Preeti Quilts.  Yes, I replied.


Someone actually recognized me from the blog!!! Boy, I have arrived.
It was a mild high. OK, it was a huge high.
It was Kathleen. Oh but your picture doesn't do you justice, I remarked. She smiled and accepted the compliment.
We hugged and chatted.

Sightseeing in Austin

Monday morning Mell and I decided to check out the Capital in Austin.  Here are few pictures.
Life Size Sculptures

He was stealing my goat

I put up a good fight
I eventually lost but not without a fight :-)  Mell was kind enough to go along with my silliness.



Pioneer Woman


Goofiness

Spectacular

When I returned, I became a member of the Modern Quilt Guild. I am sure there are more Quiltcons in my future.  I will be sharing with all my favorite linky parties. As usual I'd love to hear your thoughts.



36 comments:

  1. It was such a fun show and time! And it was so hard to pick favorites. The ones by Audrey are really impressive in their style and piecing. And the one you included "Nothing I Desire" was also on my short list. But a QuiltCon shortlist is still very long ;)

    Let's hope we can meet again at another QuiltCon. xo Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are a lot of nice pieces here - I'm not an art quilter but I do think most of us have a little bit of being an art quilter in us. I like Jayne's piece and the Houses for Homeless and a couple others - ok a lot of others I lost track of the names. You must have had a fun day - I have been Austin and seen the tourist areas you show and enjoyed them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some beautiful quilts. But that Deportation is stunning. I am sure in person they were even more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful pieces--thank you for sharing. I love those Crosses--the colors and stitches are just beautiful...but then all the pieces are so beautifully done...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Preeti! Oh, the photos you shared. It was almost like being there. Almost. I love the photo of you and Kathleen! And Deportation . . . wow. It seems like we haven't learned a single thing since WWII, does it. Still a valid, timeless piece unfortunately. I would be hard pressed to select a favorite. Oh so many great quilts, and congrats to Jayne! Thank you so much for sharing everything with us. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the photos and especially for the artist cards and stories. What a selection of quilts! These spoke to me more than many of the "winning" quilts which is the same way I've felt about most quilt shows I've attended. Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun read, and you were able to see so many incredible quilts and meet some incredible people! Yay for the photo of you and Kathleen - how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!! you have arrived - ha ha!! what an amazing show and those quilts you shared are just gorgeous!! I am always inspired by the creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a show! I'm so glad you got to go to Austin and experienced your first QuiltCon. I've only been to one, and in truth it's all overwhelming...but worth every second. I've been in awe of so many of the quilts show on social media. Inspiration and then some. It's hard not to run to my sewing machine and start something, but I think it's best to let it stew for a while! Thanks for sharing my quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a good experience at QuiltCon. I've only been once and it was fun and definitely an inspiration overload.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meeting my online friends, especially you, was the highlight of my trip. My brain is still processing the energy, the creativity and the incredible art at QuiltCon. Love all the pictures. I really loved Zenith by Cassandra Beaver too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for all the photos. It seems every other post I have seen has shared the same quilts over and over, but you had ones I have not yet seen (and like better!). Is there another post coming about what you bought? (Because you can't go to a quilt show and buy nothing, can you?!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should plan a trip to Oregon some July. Make sure that you will be in the area the second Saturday so you can go the the Sister's Outdoor Quilt Show (www.soqs.org). 'Always the second Saturday in July.' The small town of Sisters. OR is transformed as quilts from all over the world are hung all over town. If you stay for the week before the show Quilter's Affair happens. QA is a week long event of classes and seminars from quilting teachers from all over the world.

    kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Bob! He radiates happiness. All these great quilts must have been overwhelming. Did I ever tell you that I got engaged in Austin? Such a wonderful town. Sigh...Glad you had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing some of the quilts from QuiltCon!! What fun meeting those quilting "celebrities" and being recognized by Kathleen McMusing! SEW thrilling. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your trip to QuiltCon, so many interesting quilts and amazing quilting, I liked Bob too and the Zenithe quilt, that was stunning. Wonderful you got to meet some of the designers and had moments of silliness in Austin. We all need silly times.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love those improv triangles! And Jayne's Making Waves!!! Aww, and with Kathleen 😍

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing some scenes from Quilt Con. I really love the Triangle Color Studies quilt. It's inspiring to see not only the beauty of the quilts, but the thought provoking themes behind them. Quilting can be a powerful medium to present important issues.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That you for taking us along with you! So much beauty and talent and good cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your favorite quilt from the show has also become my favorite. Although Victoria Findlay-Wolfe’s is a close second. I really like that the MQG is growing and developing different modern styles. I’ve never been a fan of acres of negative space in a quilt, so I’m chuffed to see so much color and pattern and traditionalism. Thanks for a great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing the virtual show! It sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not much of a modern quilt gal, but I am fascinated by modern quilts. These were spectacular - thanks for sharing! My favorite: Triangle Color Study III.

    ReplyDelete
  23. that was just wonderful Preeti! Thanks for the trip! I liked all the quilts you showed, and reading the tags especially. I bet you and your friend had lots of adventures!! I like the direction the mod quilts are going... more interesting to me now and I wonder if I'd enjoy going to a guild out here. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  24. Some amazing quilts! Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful post! You can feel the joy while reading it. I too loved the emoji quilt--it's popped up in many of the posts I've seen, but yours is the first time I've seen Bob. I love Bob! Also the cross-stitch-esque Lizzo quote--I don't know her music either, but the sentiment and quilt are perfect!

    I just joined my local MQG last month--Charlotte, NC. I'm planning on quiltcon atlanta and this has made me even more excited! I'm glad you had a great time--now you probably need to get some rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing all these quilts. Austin is always a great place to visit and your photos reminded me of previous trips.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful display of interesting quilts you've shared with us! Thank you, since most of us could not go, so we could see the variety and techniques used. I loved that last quilt too, it needs a ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm here looking for a congratulations emoji. Congratulations on your first quiltcon! Congrats on delivering your tops, and touring Austin, and BEING SPOTTED as a CELEB! Especially, congrats on taking the time to share the quilts and your story of their stories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How fabulous! Thanks for sharing all the close-up pics of the quilts, I love to see all the wonderful quilting. I haven't made it to Quilt Con yet, but Atlanta looks promising! Looks like you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing your favorites at QuiltCon. Lots of inspiration there. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! Quite the QuiltCon recap!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my gosh!! That was a beautiful exhibit. Its almost difficult to choose the best one from the lot. Still my favorite was ‘Making Waves’ by Jayne and ‘ Nothing I desire’ by Patti. Both were such a meticulous piece of work and it is absolutely out of the world design. Special mention to Storied Quilt by Vasudha as well, as it was a unique concept. Thank you, Preethi, for the beautiful tour of the gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just catching up on some blog reading. How fun to hear of your adventure to QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for sharing the pictures of quilts. The patterns are pleasant to eyes as they are simple patterns and fewer colors are used. I know my music teacher in Music institute Coimbatore like these kinds of simple patterns. I will suggest the same.

    ReplyDelete